Is there anyone here that does the ipod mods?

Thanks..Most prolly I'm gettin an ipod video 5.5g from a forummer and I wanna improve it's sq within makin a huge hole in my wallet hahah.

What should I do? I heard of rockboxing and other expensive mods like from RWA..
    A diy service perhaps?

Educate me..Im new to this thing haha.
    Thanks guys =))

Buy the best IEM you can afford (of the variety you prefer, e.g. dynamic, balanced, multi-driver), then think of getting a discrete amp.

Mods can be considered if the above doesn't improve the SQ to the level desired.

Those mods actually helps to improve line out signal. Its only good if you can intend to hook it up some amps.

And if your gonna to imod your ipod i suggest you get the LOD with caps to block off the "xtra" VDC.

The best IEMs in the market only shines when paired with a good amp.
    Base on my experience with using JH13, JH16, Stage6 and UM miracles.
    Workstation Rig

Intel Xeon W3680 / Evga Classified X58 / 6x4GB GSkill / Nvidia 285GTX SLI + 260GTX physics / X-Fi Forte / Dell U3011 /Adaptec 4805SAS / WD velociraptor 300GB (OS) / 4x2TB WB Black (RAID 5) in Icydock MB455SPF-B / Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W

Thanks for all the info guys. So will the mods be able to improve sq just by itself(ipod + iem) or it needs to have an amp to hear the difference?
    Also..what kinda amps do they have for noobs that listens to..basically heavy on vocals, drums, and effects and some guitars. TIA

redpixy bro, I don't really know the insides of the ipod..Whats LOD and VDC?

Quote Originally Posted by Danial89 View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. So will the mods be able to improve sq just by itself(ipod + iem) or it needs to have an amp to hear the difference?
    Also..what kinda amps do they have for noobs that listens to..basically heavy on vocals, drums, and effects and some guitars. TIA

redpixy bro, I don't really know the insides of the ipod..Whats LOD and VDC?
    The diymod or RWA mods bypass a few components in the ipod to bridge the audio signal directly to Line out of the ipod. The LOD aka Line out Dock got to have capacitors to "block off" the extra DC voltage which might damage your amps.

If you intending to do a Diymod or imod, you would require an amp.

As for amps it really depends on your budget.

You can try the iBasso P4.
    Last edited by redpixy; Apr 14th, 12 at 01:25 AM.
    Workstation Rig

Intel Xeon W3680 / Evga Classified X58 / 6x4GB GSkill / Nvidia 285GTX SLI + 260GTX physics / X-Fi Forte / Dell U3011 /Adaptec 4805SAS / WD velociraptor 300GB (OS) / 4x2TB WB Black (RAID 5) in Icydock MB455SPF-B / Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W

So if the audio signal goes directly to the Line out of the ipod, in theoretically it will provide a better sq right. So it means that an imod + iem rig wouldnt have much significant difference la compared to an imod + amp + iem..Right?

I think i will get an amp but not so soon la haha..what iems recommended for lets say below $300 for a start?

So if the audio signal goes directly to the Line out of the ipod, in theoretically it will provide a better sq right. So it means that an imod + iem rig wouldnt have much significant difference la compared to an imod + amp + iem..Right?

I think i will get an amp but not so soon la haha..what iems recommended for lets say below $300 for a start?
    Yes u will get better SQ with the mod, however plugging your iem directly to the line out will kill both your ears and iems

Below 300, u can try Madcap Audio's Amps. they are pretty decent for the price.
    Workstation Rig

Even if lowering down the volume?

Ok thanks..will check it out

Even if lowering down the volume?

Ok thanks..will check it out
    by using the Line out.. your ipod volume controls and preset EQ will not work anymore.
    Workstation Rig

Ouh! So thats where the amp comes in eyy..okok thank you so much redpixy =))