Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
gadenp
Mini Maggies Rock

Trade rep: 43 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Mini Maggie System - An Audiophile Desktop Speaker System gadenp Feb 12th, 12, 02:35 PM #1

FYI-ing you all if you have not discovered this gem.

Review: Magnepan Mini Maggie | Sound and Vision Magazine

User Review of the New Mini Maggie System | Computer Audiophile

This system is as far as I concerned should be the audiophile standard of desktop entertainment (along with the Gallo Stradas), with the other desktop systems falling short or being too expensive or not desktop systems at all.

If anyone wants to listen, Absolute Sound Distribution at #03-38 are the retail sellers. It currently costs only $1999 SGD, which is the same pricing as USA at $1499 USD.

sg.png
Last edited by gadenp; Feb 12th, 12 at 07:17 PM..
rickysio
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trade rep: 33 (100%)
rickysio Feb 12th, 12, 04:15 PM #2
Contact us | Absolute Sound

They actually have 3 shops so I guess it's in the Naim Audio Showroom?
It is better to remain silent and be taken as a fool, than to speak and prove your ignorance beyond doubt.
sg.png
gadenp
Mini Maggies Rock

gadenp Feb 12th, 12, 06:43 PM #3
Yea, it is the Naim show room It is where they audition their smaller speakers, amps, etc.
sg.png
kohroyston
itrack.com.sg

Trade rep: 73 (99%)
kohroyston Feb 12th, 12, 07:11 PM #4
Price?

iTrack GPS Vehicle Tracking

GPS Tracking, GPS Vehicle Tracking, GPS Fleet Tracking, Singapore

WTMO: MUSES 01/02 Op-amp

ViewQwest Referral Name: PM me (S$25 Rebate off first month)
sg.png
gadenp
Mini Maggies Rock

gadenp Feb 12th, 12, 07:17 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohroyston View Post
Price?
It currently costs only $1999 SGD, which is the same pricing as USA at $1499 USD. To me is value for money
sg.png
kohroyston
itrack.com.sg

Trade rep: 73 (99%)
kohroyston Feb 12th, 12, 08:23 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadenp View Post
It currently costs only $1999 SGD, which is the same pricing as USA at $1499 USD. To me is value for money
Still need amp!

iTrack GPS Vehicle Tracking

GPS Tracking, GPS Vehicle Tracking, GPS Fleet Tracking, Singapore

WTMO: MUSES 01/02 Op-amp

ViewQwest Referral Name: PM me (S$25 Rebate off first month)
sg.png
gadenp
Mini Maggies Rock

gadenp Feb 12th, 12, 08:35 PM #7
<-- Audiophile

Hahaha already have an Amp , the UPA2. A good Amp is a long term investment.
sg.png
noinimod Registered User

Trade rep: 33 (97%)
noinimod Feb 12th, 12, 08:39 PM #8
Can post your impressions? I'm sure it'll be helpful to potential buyers. Would be good to hear what you think about the bass of the maggies compared to your bass reflex ushers. Thanks
sg.png
gadenp
Mini Maggies Rock

gadenp Feb 13th, 12, 12:55 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by noinimod View Post
Can post your impressions? I'm sure it'll be helpful to potential buyers. Would be good to hear what you think about the bass of the maggies compared to your bass reflex ushers. Thanks
Hi Noinimod, not very good at writing down my impressions but will try . Also the Mini Maggies are said to need 100 hrs of burn in, so sound most probably will change.

Here are my first impressions after about a total of 10 hours of listening.

Firstly where I came from:
For about a year, I have been using the Usher BE-718 in the following setup:
Usher BE-718
Emotiva UPA-2 Amp
LDR Lighter Note Passive Pre-Amp
AudioGD DAC 19 DF
AudioGD Digital Transport (with upgraded clock)
Desktop PC using Foobar 2000 in WASAPI mode

My Room size is 2.5m (wide) by 4m (long). My desk in 2M from rear of room and about 1.5m from speakers. The BE718 was flushed to rear wall and about 2m apart (0.25m from side walls). My Table and monitors used to totally block my center imaging in relation to my speakers. I also sleep in my room, so I got a lot of stuff, cabinets, wardrobes, tv, bed in my room.

In my room, the Ushers BE-718 always sounded loud and chaotic. Bass was felt more the heard and the highs always seemed abit funny. I strongly suspected this was due to my table and monitors absorbing the highs and also the bass directly in from on me from my speakers so I go the echo, reverb and music from the side more then the middle. So my middle always sounded a bit hollow.

Now onwards to the comparision (with all the background established).

Soundstage:
The mini Maggies soundstage compared to the Ushers is very airy, relaxed and big. It makes my sound room sound large and details can be heard to come from distinct spatial locations.

The Ushers BE-718 soundstage is horrible in my room. It makes my small room seem smaller. Everything is so compressed together and loud, with a distinct lost of soundstaging in the center (behind monitors). It is more due to the mismatch of the speakers to my room then anything. I have heard the BE-718 in halls were they can open out and they sound nothing like my room.

Treble:
The mini Maggie treble is very clear, is sharp, but not showcased above the rest of the ranges. The highs feel integrated and part of a whole, not stars in their own right.

The Usher BE-718 treble are very distinct and are highlighted. But due to the near field issue, become very loud and in complex records like The Who's Baba O'Riley seem to overshadow the rest of the ranges and chaotic. Again the further away from my desktop, the more integrated the sound of the BE-718 gets.

Mids:
The Mini Maggies make the mids of bad recording and mp3s sound good. The whole range of sounds including the mid are well integrated together as a whole with the speakers only 0.5 meters from my ears. The mids of good recordings sound really reall good too.

The Ushers Mids seem to be a be hollow in the middle and more recessed, which I think is due to the near factor and my speaker and monitors blocking the sub-woofer. Sound compressed too.

Lows:
The Mini Maggies bass is clearer and I can feel the bass up to more then around half my room.

The ushers bass is whole encompassing it fills my whole room. I feel it from the sides more then the center (again blocked). But the bass is still very clear and defined.

Conclusion:
In the end, the Mini Maggie System is really meant for desktop or small room listening and it shows.

While the Ushers BE-718 is meant for halls, and it shows too. My room takes the Usher BE-718 and does not allow it to fulfill it's full potential.

On the other hand the Mini Maggie, just sound beautiful and works in small spaces in a near field environment.
sg.png
rickysio
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trade rep: 33 (100%)
rickysio Feb 13th, 12, 08:22 PM #10
Err, you only tried the Maggies?
It is better to remain silent and be taken as a fool, than to speak and prove your ignorance beyond doubt.
sg.png
gadenp
Mini Maggies Rock

gadenp Feb 14th, 12, 08:40 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Err, you only tried the Maggies?
Tried Gallo Stradas, Dynaudio 110, Dynaudio BM6a, Spendor SA1

Gallo Stradas <-- Make music comes alive, highlights individual sections of music, less integrated then Mini Maggie, aggressive sounding, expensive, EXPENSIVE!!! $5K for 2x speaker and sub
Dynaudio 110 <-- Bass sounds funny, not accurate, boomy, rear port
Dynaudio BM6a <-- Listen for fun, already have amp, not at good as the rest
Spendor SA1 <-- Expensive, needs space, rear firing port

So no I did not try only maggies. I was just comparing the Mini Maggies to the speaker I listen most too before?

Also note in my setup, space or lack there off, plays a huge role. And I am sick of trying to fit my room to the speaker. At the prices I am paying I want the speakers to fit my small room.

Although all the above are near field, only BM6a, Mini Maggie and Gallo Stradas are built to be used for desktop distances of 0.5M ~ 1M.

Gallo Stradas sound sig is beautiful but fatigues after awhile, also price is killer. BM6a just cannot compare. So Mini Maggies it is.

Would have loved a merger of Gallo Stradas sound sig with Mini Maggies sound sig at Maggies pricing but if I had to choose again even if money no figure, I would go for Mini Maggies. Gallo Stradas to me more for movies, Mini Maggies more for long hours of music listening.
sg.png
Last edited by gadenp; Feb 14th, 12 at 08:42 AM..
9VARZ
♥ Lightning ♥

Trade rep: 5 (100%)
9VARZ Feb 14th, 12, 08:57 AM #12
Very interesting that your opinions didn't really pick out the key features that separate electrostatics/planarmagnetics from dynamic speakers: detail, speed and transparency.

BTW, Dynaudio actives are really over-hyped, IMO. To me, their amps are genuinely their Achilles Heel.

For the money, it would be very interesting to see how the Mini Maggies square up against the PMC Twenty.21 speakers. SEAS tweeters (along with some others like the Vifa XT25) can be rather airy and "expansive/large" sounding too.
Views expressed are my own.

WTS: Garage sales!! Pre-loved items sold for cheap!!

URGENT DOSE OF VITAMIN M REQUIRED.
Can you help?
gb.png
gadenp
Mini Maggies Rock

gadenp Feb 14th, 12, 09:21 AM #13
Not really a good or professional reviewer, which is why I first ask people to go listen themselves. So I just write what is of most importance to me. Which is the way better sound staging and clearer sound compare to my old set. Which is due to my room.

The Stradas actually showcased the details better then the Mini Maggie, up to the point of listening fatigue. But then again Stradas are not wooden case speakers. The Mini Maggies are ribbon speaker, I heard Magneplan new speakers are all ribbon no longer electrostatic.

I have read some fav reviews on the PMC Twenty.21 speakers and other great bookshelf speaker. But for me all of them need space, which is for me a big big issue.

I do not want my speaker to define my super small room. But I want great sounding speakers. Thus narrowing the speaker field down for me, to either near field monitors or the Gallo Stradas or Mini Maggies.

I would think that most Singaporeans would have the same space constraints that I do? Small room, sleep, eat, store stuff, etc in it. Play computer games in it. Room too packed, and thus bookshelf or floorstanders are out. But I am finding it seems that is not the case
sg.png
Last edited by gadenp; Feb 14th, 12 at 09:26 AM..
gadenp
Mini Maggies Rock

gadenp Feb 14th, 12, 09:28 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9VARZ View Post
Very interesting that your opinions didn't really pick out the key features that separate electrostatics/planarmagnetics from dynamic speakers: detail, speed and transparency.

BTW, Dynaudio actives are really over-hyped, IMO. To me, their amps are genuinely their Achilles Heel.

For the money, it would be very interesting to see how the Mini Maggies square up against the PMC Twenty.21 speakers. SEAS tweeters (along with some others like the Vifa XT25) can be rather airy and "expansive/large" sounding too.
Could you go down and listen to the Mini Maggies and give them the review they deserve, compared to my rojak review Seriously for me when I write, it is either things are better or worst, works or do not work, good at this or bad. If someone does not remind me, how about this or that, I will forget about it (take it as a given) and do not write about it.
sg.png
9VARZ
♥ Lightning ♥

Trade rep: 5 (100%)
9VARZ Feb 14th, 12, 09:47 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadenp View Post
Could you go down and listen to the Mini Maggies and give them the review they deserve, compared to my rojak review Seriously for me when I write, it is either things are better or worst, works or do not work, good at this or bad. If someone does not remind me, how about this or that, I will forget about it (take it as a given) and do not write about it.
Trust me when I say this: If I could, I would.

Someone need to fly me back first. If not, a bit difficult to find samples of these floating around. Audiophile market getting so damned polarised these days, mid-market goods don't seem to have a place for auditions any more.
Views expressed are my own.

WTS: Garage sales!! Pre-loved items sold for cheap!!

URGENT DOSE OF VITAMIN M REQUIRED.
Can you help?
gb.png
New Thread | ↑↓ Similar Threads