Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
StGrim

Trade rep: 24 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Creative Soundblaster Zx or Asus Xonar STX StGrim Jan 31st, 13, 09:30 AM #1

Hi Guys,

I can't decide whether to get the Soundblaster Zx or Asus Xonar STX.
Will be pairing it with either a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 a Logitech z623 and AKG Q701.
Trying to strike a balance between gaming and music requirements.

I primarily play Battlefield 3 and Natural Selection along with the occasional Space title that usually comes with an epic soundtrack (Endless Space).

Music-wise, I listen to a large variety from House to Classic Rock to Korean Pop.
I was huge into the in-ear/headphones scene back in 2006-7 and eventually graduated to speakers, and am now utterly lost moving back into headphones. I currently use UE10Pros with an iBasso DX100 for my portable rig.
I used to run a very decent pure-audio rig with a Meitner MA-1 -> Mimetism Integrated 15.2 -> Focal Diablo Utopias.
I had to sell the setup to fund my college education *sadface*.

Apparently the new SBX tech on the Soundblaster Zx is terrible but Asus Xonar's Dolby Headphone isn't supported by very many games too.

What do you think?

Intel Xeon [email protected] | DFI LP UT X48-T2R | 4x2GB Team Xtreem Dark DDR2-1066 CL5 |
Intel X-25M G2 80GB/WD 1500ADFD | Pioneer DVR-212BK | Sapphire HD5870 1GB DDR5 Vapor-X |
Creative XtremeMusic w/LM4562 & BlackGate Mod | Antec CP-850 | Antec Performance One P183 | Megahalems w/Scythe Ultra Kaze | Dell UltraSharp™ 2408WFP
us.png
DreamerX I'm a $$-fanboy

Trade rep: 8 (100%)
DreamerX Jan 31st, 13, 05:21 PM #2
i guess for music lover, asus stx will be better choice. you may read through the review with measurement data.
ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX soundcards | Stereophile.com
sg.png
wwenze
Newbie of Now and Forever

Trade rep: 23 (100%)
wwenze Jan 31st, 13, 05:42 PM #3
STX is the "tried-and-tested" solution. But Zx is cheaper and some of the money goes into the mic system.
sg.png
Airekris Registered User

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
Airekris Jan 31st, 13, 06:05 PM #4
Hi guys while we are at that topic, how do you all find the older X-fi titanium HD?
sg.png
9VARZ
♥ Lightning ♥

Trade rep: 5 (100%)
9VARZ Jan 31st, 13, 06:11 PM #5
Looks to me like your setup is going to sound very bass heavy on speakers and bright-sounding on your headphones. Not a lot will go into the midrange.

If you know what you're doing, there are various entry level USB DACs that will do the job you are asking for adequately and more. There's really no need to go for those stickers and labels like THX-certified, Dolby Headphones or SBX tech. You can try looking at options from Fiio or Audioquest (<$500) or even other makes that are in the higher price category.
Views expressed are my own.

WTS: Garage sales!! Pre-loved items sold for cheap!!

URGENT DOSE OF VITAMIN M REQUIRED.
Can you help?
sg.png
DreamerX I'm a $$-fanboy

DreamerX Jan 31st, 13, 11:30 PM #6
TS,
ultimately, go for what you are looking for and read the reviews (better with measured data), then see if its within your budget.
sg.png
MAfei_GUy
MISAKA!!!

Trade rep: 28 (100%)
MAfei_GUy Feb 8th, 13, 07:20 PM #7
Hi sorry for interrupting/hijacking this thread(Sorry! Didnt wanna start new thread), but I'm also kinda looking for a new sound card as well and can't decide between the Xonar Essence STX and the Sound blaster ZxR(not Zx). Both seem to have really good quality components and similiar designs and I dont know which one is the better option for me.

Currently using a Senn IE8 for music. I listen to mostly pop, ballads and rock/metal occasionally. I prefer a somewhat warm sound signature, deep bass, but not too much of it(I have the bass knob on the IE8 set at minimum). All my stuff are lossless.

For games, I also play bf3 quite a lot so it'll be cool if the card performs well in games too, preferably virtual surround. However i'm just using a Tactic3D Sigma for gaming, though i'm looking to upgrade to a HD598 or something similiar in the future.
Regarding the SBX Surround, I was under the impression that it was better than the THX Surround... No? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlsIPwSj6Q)

Any takes on which one is more suitable?
sg.png
Last edited by MAfei_GUy; Feb 8th, 13 at 07:24 PM..
DreamerX I'm a $$-fanboy

DreamerX Feb 8th, 13, 11:43 PM #8
how much does the ZxR cost? ZxR looks good on paper, but not tested and proven with a measured data. Asus STX on the hand (particular at music playback), is proven and backed by the data measured using the reputable audio analyzer.
sg.png
9VARZ
♥ Lightning ♥

Trade rep: 5 (100%)
Creative Soundblaster Zx or Asus Xonar STX 9VARZ Feb 9th, 13, 11:05 AM #9
Measurements mean absolutely nothing if not applied correctly, IMO.

A lot of the metrics can't even apply to real world situations.
Views expressed are my own.

WTS: Garage sales!! Pre-loved items sold for cheap!!

URGENT DOSE OF VITAMIN M REQUIRED.
Can you help?
sg.png
MAfei_GUy
MISAKA!!!

Trade rep: 28 (100%)
MAfei_GUy Feb 9th, 13, 12:04 PM #10
Hmmm then I guess the stx is more reliable? Haha I wonder if shops r open tpday
sg.png
iotacode Registered User

Trade rep: 27 (100%)
iotacode Feb 12th, 13, 03:07 PM #11
The ZxR has yet to be released in sg. Creative online store's SRP is 349.
If primary for gaming, the ZxR may be a sound choice.
sg.png
New Thread | ↑↓ Similar Threads