Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Income gap is “socially unconscionable”
    http://sg.news.yahoo.com/insurance-should-...-tommy-koh.html
    By Jeanette Tan | Yahoo! Newsroom
    04/5/2012

Turning to the wage gap, Koh spoke of economist Lim Chong Yah’s wage shock therapy as one of three existing ways to plug it, and that while he did not agree with Lim’s proposal, he agreed with the latter’s aim.

He said that the issue needed to be addressed “not through palliatives but by seeing what we can do to fundamentally alter the wages of the bottom 30 per cent of our people”.

Koh also opposed the view of economist Shandre Thangavelu, who was also at Thursday’s roundtable, that the income gap is “part of globalisation and technological change”.

The ambassador contended that Singapore’s practice of importing large numbers of cheap and unskilled labour depresses wages in its service and non-tradable sectors. He further noted that construction workers in Hong Kong are twice as productive as those in Singapore, and receive two-and-a-half times the income earned here.

His view echoed those expressed by IPS senior adjunct fellow Yeoh Lam Kheong and Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy dean Kishore Mahbubani earlier on Thursday, who both called for a refinement of the import of new citizens and PRs to target more skilled labour.

“There are many equity issues we need to look at in Singapore, although I agree that we have done many things right. We just need to improve on a tremendously successful story,” Koh concluded.

Should the existing MediShield and Medifund schemes be reviewed to accommodate the needs of chronically-ill and people with pre-existing medical conditions?

What might the government's concerns be in doing such a review?

2 years ago, my coffee or tea at a kopitiam cost $0.80. Now, it cost $1.00. MAS wants me to believe their freaking bullshit that inflation only impacts minority?
    Inspireo Media - Web/Mobile Design & Development
    Orinity - Hollywood Fashion Tape

ORiN-Q9550
    CPU & Heatsink: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 & Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (Lapped)
    Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-E
    RAM: 4GB Team Xtreem Dark DDR2-1066
    Graphics: Sapphire HD7950 3GB DDR5 VAPOR-X
    PSU: Corsair HX620W

Macbook Air 13"
    CPU: 1.3GHz Intel Core i5
    RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600

Quote Originally Posted by ORiN View Post
    2 years ago, my coffee or tea at a kopitiam cost $0.80. Now, it cost $1.00. MAS wants me to believe their freaking bullshit that inflation only impacts minority?
    lol....statistically kopitiam coffee drinkers only make up 0.01% of the statistics, kopitiam tea drinkers 0.01%, coffee shop A 0.01%, coffee shop B 0.001%, macdonals coffee 0.0001%....so the logic by MAS sure win one mah

Can argue, yes 'you' are a minority affected compared to all the coffee drinker...

I think baby milk consumers more jia luck. Last time (2007) per 1.8kg can $46....(step 1), then $50, then $60 now it is (2012) $70!!!! and a new born baby drinks 1 can per week...

PS: Happy Vesak Day eveyrone
    Last edited by Ideasmiths; May 5th, 12 at 03:41 PM.

Breastfeeding then saves more money

Quote Originally Posted by Ideasmiths View Post
    I think baby milk consumers more jia luck. Last time (2007) per 1.8kg can $46....(step 1), then $50, then $60 now it is (2012) $70!!!! and a new born baby drinks 1 can per week...
    if $70 x 52 weeks = $3640, still want people to give birth.

**** inflation F U C K !!!!!!!!!!!!'

F UUUUU CCCCC KKKKK INFLATION

Quote Originally Posted by riku11111 View Post
    **** inflation F U C K !!!!!!!!!!!!'

F UUUUU CCCCC KKKKK INFLATION

hate gate

Quote Originally Posted by Ideasmiths View Post
    lol....statistically kopitiam coffee drinkers only make up 0.01% of the statistics, kopitiam tea drinkers 0.01%, coffee shop A 0.01%, coffee shop B 0.001%, macdonals coffee 0.0001%....so the logic by MAS sure win one mah

Can argue, yes 'you' are a minority affected compared to all the coffee drinker...

PS: Happy Vesak Day eveyrone
    Even rice also increased over the past two years. Don't tell me rice eaters are minority!
    Inspireo Media - Web/Mobile Design & Development
    Orinity - Hollywood Fashion Tape

ORiN-Q9550
    CPU & Heatsink: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 & Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (Lapped)
    Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-E
    RAM: 4GB Team Xtreem Dark DDR2-1066
    Graphics: Sapphire HD7950 3GB DDR5 VAPOR-X
    PSU: Corsair HX620W

Macbook Air 13"
    CPU: 1.3GHz Intel Core i5
    RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234