Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
quarian
the hungry chef

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Love Me If You Dare (french movie) [SPOILERS] quarian Mar 27th, 05, 10:33 PM #1
Hi

Did anyone watch the French movie Love Me If You Dare. I think it showed in cinemas last year or just before that and I didn't watched it coz reviews said it was like a darker version of Amelie and Amelie made me cry so hard...

Anyways, I happened to catch the ending on ch 56 on cable, JUST finished, thankfully it was in French but with Chinese and English subtitles. And if anyone has watched it, please explain to me the ending?

Did they bury themselves in concrete or did they grow old happily together?

And the actress Marion Cotillard is as sparkly as ever from the little I saw, I remember her from Taxi (the french ones again, not the US one) as Daniel's longsuffering girlfriend.

Heck: What you're feeling now is the unstoppable force, which means that I've got to move.
sg.png
quarian
the hungry chef

quarian Mar 27th, 05, 10:41 PM #2
Was looking for reviews which might discuss the ending and found this interview by the director, which I think sheds some light:
http://www.moviecitynews.com/Interviews/samuell.html

About the ending, he first says it's open to interpretation: YANN SAMUELL: It's a matter of choice, whether you rule your life or are ruled by others--society, family, educators. And the main fighters, my two characters, have to show whether they are game or not. And that's also what I wanted from the audience. I don't like films with a message at the end telling an audience, this is what you have to think. It's not up to me to have to decide for the audience. So I opened the end so the audience could make its own choice about the meaning of it. The end is the same each time you watch: their love is endless, whether they die under concrete, or die as old people in some unreal, happy-forever paradise for the elderly. Is it a problem?

But later on in the interview, he says the movie is about two people dying abruptly (when explaining it's dedicated to his deceased parents-in-law).

So at first it sounds like it's deliberately ambiguous so that the viewer can choose the ending themselves then he says it's about dying.

Did anyone else watch Chasin' Amy? I read what the director Kelvin Smith said and made me feel better coz he said it was an ending up to the reader as well.
sg.png
videofusion
D-cinema associate

videofusion Mar 28th, 05, 12:20 AM #3
Will have to rewatch
sg.png
OKK77

Trade rep: 11 (100%)
OKK77 Mar 28th, 05, 01:07 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarian
Hi

Did anyone watch the French movie Love Me If You Dare. I think it showed in cinemas last year or just before that and I didn't watched it coz reviews said it was like a darker version of Amelie and Amelie made me cry so hard...

Anyways, I happened to catch the ending on ch 56 on cable, JUST finished, thankfully it was in French but with Chinese and English subtitles. And if anyone has watched it, please explain to me the ending?

Did they bury themselves in concrete or did they grow old happily together?
It perplexed me a bit while I was watching. But I just took it as an open ending. Heh.

Quote:
And the actress Marion Cotillard is as sparkly as ever from the little I saw, I remember her from Taxi (the french ones again, not the US one) as Daniel's longsuffering girlfriend.
She's great. I saw her in Big Fish and more recently, in A Very Long Engagement which is another film superbe. (-;
sg.png
booest
集中精神, 闭关修行

Trade rep: 62 (100%)
booest Mar 29th, 05, 09:33 AM #5
basket...... i am really totally lost in this movie thingy..

Life is a Gift, Never take it forgranted
| i5ooest:i5-2500K cooldby Shuriken Rev-B | Gene-Z mATX | 4 x 4GB DDR3 | Veloci 600Gb | S12-600W |
| Alcadia X3 -Black fortified by Silent9 |2707WFP (16:10) |

sg.png
Linear Mode Linear Mode