Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
MinMin
The One and Only

Trade rep: 1 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
(News) If You Hit And Run An Animal: You Could Get Fined Or Jailed MinMin Jun 14th, 08, 11:45 AM #1
If your hit-and-run victim is human: YOU GET FINED OR JAILED
If your hit-and-run victim is an animal:
YOU COULD FACE SAME PENALTY

Mr Teo's dog died after being hit by a van. When the men from the van saw him, they allegedly drove off. -- TNP Picture: JONATHAN CHOO

IF you hit someone on the road and flee from the scene of the accident, you will get into trouble with the law.

But what if you knock down an animal?

Well, don't think you can just drive off.

Be it a person or an animal, the same law applies.

Under the Road Traffic Act, if you are involved in an accident where a person or an animal is injured, you have to stop your vehicle and help the victims.

If not, you can face a fine up to $3,000 or be jailed up to a year.

For a subsequent conviction, you can be fined up to $5,000 or jailed up to two years.

Lawyer Luke Lee told The New Paper: 'Animals are protected under the same law as humans.'

And those who injure an animal in a hit-and-run case face the same penalties if the law is violated, he added.

Ms Deirdre Moss, executive officer of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), said: 'Most people, unfortunately, do not think that such cases are important just because (the victim) is an animal.'

Student Andrew Teo's dog was one such victim.

On 4 Jun, the 23-year-old took his 2-year-old miniature schnauzer, Vodka, for their usual evening walk.

At 9.45pm, they were about to cross Choa Chu Kang Crescent when a white van sped towards them.

Mr Teo said he was standing on the pavement while Vodka, who was on a leash, was already on the road.

On seeing the van, Mr Teo tried to pull the dog back, but Vodka slipped out of his collar and dashed across the road.

It was hit by the van and blood oozed from its right ear and nostrils.

Mr Teo saw the van had stopped a few metres away and two men came out. Mr Teo said that when they saw him, they quickly got back into the van and allegedly drove off.

But he managed to take down its licence plate number.

Three passers-by, two of whom are Mr Teo's neighbours, helped him move Vodka onto the pavement.

He said: 'By that time, I knew Vodka was dead. His body was intact, but you could feel that his skull had been crushed.'

Mr Teo took the dog to its vet to get a death certificate and then went to a police station to make a report.

A police spokesman confirmed Mr Teo's report and said they are investigating the accident, which happened between Block 662 and Block 691A at Choa Chu Kang Crescent.

The road has no pedestrian crossings or traffic lights, but Mr Teo and other residents said that it has low traffic even during the day.

The vet's medical report declared Vodka dead on arrival. It suffered severe trauma to the head and chest.

Mr Teo is upset that the van occupants did not stop to help and feels they must take responsibility and be punished accordingly.

AWARENESS NEEDED

Motorist William Neo, 28, was unaware that the penalty for hit-and-run cases is the same for both humans and animals.

The project coordinator feels that motorists need to be better educated on road rules.

He said: 'Most people would probably think hitting an animal is much less serious than hitting a person.

'Informing motorists of the consequences would make them think twice about driving off after hitting an animal.'

The SPCA said that when pets are injured in road accidents, the owners should alert the SPCA and try to move the animals to the side of the road.

But those with little experience in handling animals should not try to pick them up. They should wait for SPCA staff members to arrive, while alerting motorists to slow down and drive cautiously - the traffic police will generally assist in this area.

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/st...67509,00.html?

sg.png
ktk
Banned

Trade rep: 4 (100%)
ktk Jun 14th, 08, 01:29 PM #2
dumb laws.

might as well fine the animals for jaywalking.
tw.png
fleek [VRZ]Kababoom

fleek Jun 14th, 08, 05:11 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktk View Post
dumb laws.

might as well fine the animals for jaywalking.
The law is not dumb, the law is for protecting the weak. If as superior human beings and you cannot even protect the rights of a dog, how can you consider yourself as superior?

A life is a life, whether it is an animal or a human.

I would like to see those psychos killing the cats at pasir ris being hanged.
sg.png
ktk
Banned

ktk Jun 14th, 08, 05:36 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleek View Post
The law is not dumb, the law is for protecting the weak. If as superior human beings and you cannot even protect the rights of a dog, how can you consider yourself as superior?

A life is a life, whether it is an animal or a human.

I would like to see those psychos killing the cats at pasir ris being hanged.
the law is to protect those who know them.

if someone is weak and also have no idea about the law, he is screwed.
and IMHO lawyers in SG aint free, compared to TW.

when you dont have the money to know whats best for your protection, your screwed, esp in SG.
tw.png
Last edited by ktk; Jun 14th, 08 at 05:39 PM..
nums_lock
-KeyPad Member-

nums_lock Jun 14th, 08, 06:37 PM #5
so does killing a dog on the road give a death penalty??
sg.png
fleek [VRZ]Kababoom

fleek Jun 14th, 08, 09:56 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktk View Post
the law is to protect those who know them.

if someone is weak and also have no idea about the law, he is screwed.
and IMHO lawyers in SG aint free, compared to TW.

when you dont have the money to know whats best for your protection, your screwed, esp in SG.
If you win the case, the lawyer will be free. Otherwise if you cannot get a lawyer, get a public prosecutor.
sg.png
yaoyao
Master Insomniac

yaoyao Jun 14th, 08, 10:00 PM #7
what the hell

this is one of the stupidest thing i have heard

so for this ruling to take effect, who will educate and regulate the animals on the road by the way?
sg.png
dxter
[JEDI] DANTZ|G

dxter Jun 15th, 08, 01:10 AM #8
The law wouldn't enact if no1 makes a report.
"Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level." --- E. Fermi (1901-1954)
sg.png
Carbon Oxyride Registered User

Trade rep: 14 (100%)
Carbon Oxyride Jun 15th, 08, 03:08 AM #9
Those animals anyhow cross the road how??
sg.png
fleek [VRZ]Kababoom

fleek Jun 15th, 08, 06:32 AM #10
In the first place, roads are created by humans. Are there any roads in the natural world?
sg.png
kheng05 Registered User

Trade rep: 2 (100%)
kheng05 Jun 15th, 08, 07:13 AM #11
they put strays to sleep... we do not go around knocking strays down... so???
sg.png
yaoyao
Master Insomniac

yaoyao Jun 15th, 08, 12:37 PM #12
In regards to the original article, I thinkthe dog owner should be prosecuted. It did not ensure the dog was on a leash, hence allowing it to run onto the road endangering the lives of drivers. Indirectly, he had shown to be a very irresponsible dog owner who has also caused its death. Can the government take some action on him?
sg.png
Del_CtrlnoAlt

Trade rep: 7 (100%)
Del_CtrlnoAlt Jun 15th, 08, 12:44 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoyao View Post
In regards to the original article, I thinkthe dog owner should be prosecuted. It did not ensure the dog was on a leash, hence allowing it to run onto the road endangering the lives of drivers. Indirectly, he had shown to be a very irresponsible dog owner who has also caused its death. Can the government take some action on him?
ya, imagine its a motorbike... the motorcyclist sure buang until dunno where... then sue the owner, the owner say, dog wanna run, i also cannot stop... lppl...
sg.png
kyouta
Call Lightning Storm

Trade rep: 29 (100%)
kyouta Jun 15th, 08, 01:19 PM #14
I think the fine should only apply if you knock an pet down and drive off ... at least if you take the responsibility to stay, you shouldn't be a fault because they is no way we can educate animals on road safety unless druids and rangers of D&D are still around ...

But for this case, it's the owner's fault I knew for not holding on tightly to the lease .. i mean c'mon ... it's a small dog ... not as if it's a siberian husky
sg.png
Raymond Tan Registered User

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
Raymond Tan Jun 16th, 08, 06:29 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoyao View Post
Well, what comments from SPCA? It is clear that the dog owner failed his part.
Animal includes elephant, tiger, cobra. lion etc, right? Animals can't read highway code.

Anyone has intention to use motor vehicle or any other mean to kill or injure animal I believe the offense should come under cruelty to animal not under road traffic act, right? Any Traffic staff can comment?
sg.png
Linear Mode Linear Mode