Question Google Chromcast

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone used the google Chromecast? It seems to be a very interesting device to stream movies.

I was thinking of getting it; hence I wanted to get some opinions on it especially from those that have it or thinking of getting one.

Thanks.
    Matt

As of now, it can only stream Youtube properly in Singapore. Unless your entire network is VPN-ed or is using Viewqwest, then you can use Hulu and Netflix. Youtube, though, works beautifully.

It can cast chrome tabs but videos on those tabs (funshion, pptv, etc) will not stream properly as Chrome's inherent support is still pretty weak - MKV for example will not play properly nor will subtitles appear.

When chromecast cast tabs or entire screens, it is essentially taking quick snapshots and then throwing them to the TV - good enough for reading emails or even composing short messages, irritating if you are coding or blogging.

Still, for $50, it ain't bad. The development is barely out of its infancy so there should be good things to come. The power requirements is extremely low - the 0.5amp out of a USB port is enough to power it and if you have a USB port on your TV, you can essentially rig it so you won't have extra cables running (I am powering mine using the USB port behind the Hubstation).
    Last edited by pockmarkedotaku; Oct 17th, 13 at 08:06 AM.

mine is still in box. pockmarkedotaku rooted yet? or using the latest official version?
    Moi Rig!

P2X4 955 \\ Gigabyte 770T-UD3P \\ 2 X Team Elite 1333 2GB \\ Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB \\ Seagate Barracuda 320GB \\ Power Color HD4870 512MB \\ Samsung DVDRW \\ Customized Full Tower \\ Seasonic M12II 620W

my first stick was updated to the latest version and that kinda patched the ability to root i think...

i have a 2nd stick still in the box but i don't have a powered OTG cable yet - waiting to borrow one from my colleague.

Arrow

I bought one from Amazon and used Vpost to send it to Singapore.

Nice little device for youtube but we are still not able to send our own videos from handphones.

using it now and surprisingly my mom love it, using with her note 2 and youtube app, for a typical non-tech savvy auntie + pure Chinese educated. I must say google did a good job in user experience.
    mac . pc . linux . hasselblad . canon p . 5D Mark II user . flickr

Quote Originally Posted by pockmarkedotaku View Post
    my first stick was updated to the latest version and that kinda patched the ability to root i think...

i have a 2nd stick still in the box but i don't have a powered OTG cable yet - waiting to borrow one from my colleague.
    can borrow?
    Moi Rig!

P2X4 955 \\ Gigabyte 770T-UD3P \\ 2 X Team Elite 1333 2GB \\ Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB \\ Seagate Barracuda 320GB \\ Power Color HD4870 512MB \\ Samsung DVDRW \\ Customized Full Tower \\ Seasonic M12II 620W

M'mmmmm...
    all along I thought matt sharing his experience on chromecast.

matt, how good is your disc golf business?

I do have one for sale, please PM me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrtok View Post
    mine is still in box. pockmarkedotaku rooted yet? or using the latest official version?
    Stupid question here, why do we need to root it? What are the benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by desaturated View Post
    using it now and surprisingly my mom love it, using with her note 2 and youtube app, for a typical non-tech savvy auntie + pure Chinese educated. I must say google did a good job in user experience.
    Lol! I should be able to figure it out then.

Quote Originally Posted by proyb2 View Post
    all along I thought matt sharing his experience on chromecast.

matt, how good is your disc golf business?
    Are you trolling me? I do not have a disc golf business.

Quote Originally Posted by pockmarkedotaku View Post
    As of now, it can only stream Youtube properly in Singapore. Unless your entire network is VPN-ed or is using Viewqwest, then you can use Hulu and Netflix. Youtube, though, works beautifully.

It can cast chrome tabs but videos on those tabs (funshion, pptv, etc) will not stream properly as Chrome's inherent support is still pretty weak - MKV for example will not play properly nor will subtitles appear.

When chromecast cast tabs or entire screens, it is essentially taking quick snapshots and then throwing them to the TV - good enough for reading emails or even composing short messages, irritating if you are coding or blogging.

Still, for $50, it ain't bad. The development is barely out of its infancy so there should be good things to come. The power requirements is extremely low - the 0.5amp out of a USB port is enough to power it and if you have a USB port on your TV, you can essentially rig it so you won't have extra cables running (I am powering mine using the USB port behind the Hubstation).
    I use Hola to access Netflix and Hulu. A simple app from the chrome browser store, less work than starting up a VPN IMO.

All the feedback sounds great, will probably get one and try it out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by muffin View Post
    I do have one for sale, please PM me if you are interested.
    Why do you want to sell yours? User experience? Or? Anyway, just asking as I want to find out, no need to reply me if it affects the sale.

Goodluck!

why dun you get those Android based boxes...

Never opened myself this way
    Life is ours, we live it our way
    All these words I don't just say
    and nothing else matters