Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
cygig
ZOMBiE

Trade rep: 4 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
cygig Jun 25th, 09, 02:07 PM #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWicked View Post
yr avatar=geeky. Yr emoticon=emo. Haha.

Personally I would think text and words are enough. You do not need cute photos posted all over the internet to win donations.

Now, if the person in need is not as cute looking, or in fact looks damn ugly, i would expect the donations to be much less. Sad but true. Human nature.

Some would disagree with me though, but please do so gently.

My view is that I disagree with using looks to win sympathy.
Actually I still dun understand how does cute or ugly plays a part in winning donations. Hey, im not saying Charmaine is using her cuteness as exploitation, but let me explain why u dun need to be cute to win donation.

If you want pictures to bring in donations, you need it to evoke the sympathy of the readers (along side with providing information of the person). To evoke sympathy, there are many ways you can do it:

1. Using cute photos to show its a pity that this cutie is dying (which is what u said in this case)
2. Using a photo of the person will all needles and tubes poked into him lying there to show the pain he going thru.
3. Using the photo showing physical wearing out of that person by the illness, ie chemo until no hair left, abnormal growth on body, distorted limbs etc etc.
4. Using a photo showing the poor living condition of a person

and much more. In number 2,3 and 4, it would evoke sympathy without needing the subject to be cute. He can be fugly but the sight of him lying there barely living could be as effective as a photo showing a cute girl and saying she is fighting illness.

This beggar definitely isnt cute...But if this photo is used, I dun think there would be less donation..

This dying grandpa isnt cute as well..

This guy isnt handsome or cute (in fact quite ugly), but seeing him in such a state would made me want to help him.

Thats why if your point is

"You do not need photos posted all over the internet to win donations...that is gaining sympathy and making use of ppl, otherwise i would expect the donations to be much less."

I would have understood and respected your view (dun mean i would agree with you though). But if you say

"You do not need cute photos posted all over the internet to win donations...if the person in need is not as cute looking, or in fact looks damn ugly, i would expect the donations to be much less."

Then that is a bit weird liao. Becos,
Cute != More Donation
Ugly != Much Less Donation

Maybe you would ask "Then why post such cute pictures to gain sympathy of ppl? Isnt that making use of ppl?"

In the first place, if you really want more donation, its quite futile to post a neutral photo, or no photo at all, of a kid happily enjoying herself and say "She needs money for treatment" I wun be convinced lor, little sympathy would be evoked, very little donation would come, not even barely enough for her treatment and you might as well close the site down.

In the second place, I dun think its really making use of ppl, as charmaine might be really that in need of help. The situation she is in is accurately depicted in her photo and not exaggerated. Her mom most prolly REALLY feel pain in seeing her cute daughter put under so much when she is so young. She is most prolly REALLY that sick. As for the "sympathy" part, its just like other commercial advertisement: you can always choose not to believe and donate/buy. Its up to you to judge.
sg.png
Last edited by cygig; Jun 25th, 09 at 02:09 PM..
cyberdog
数码狗

Trade rep: 6 (100%)
cyberdog Jun 25th, 09, 03:25 PM #32
Well, at the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with her mother making use of media etc and "exploiting" us all for donations. But things cut both ways. If it riles others or rubs them the wrong way, then I hope the family dun turn around crying and blaming the media later on. You wanna play the media, then be prepared when netizens criticise your actions lor. Can't just take the good and dun wan the bad.

For my part, I do feel weary when there is SO much publicity just for her. Then what about the rest? Why is the media not doing anything? So my anger is not directed at the mother, but at the fact that the media is itself just exploiting this.

Amd honestly, cutesy pics can become too cutesy also lor. When I keep seeing one girl's cutesy pics being forwarded in emails, after a while I can't help but think of the term "act cute" ba.

OK I think I am gonna get flamed liao. Whatever.
sg.png
ColdFusion Registered User

ColdFusion Jun 25th, 09, 03:43 PM #33
Quote:
For my part, I do feel weary when there is SO much publicity just for her. Then what about the rest? Why is the media not doing anything? So my anger is not directed at the mother, but at the fact that the media is itself just exploiting this.
Most of these publicity are spread through emails, SMSes. The family took the effort to try to gain public sympathy. After all it's their child. I'm sure MOST parents will do that. It's their child who is in the wrong side of things.

I think it comes back to the question why didn't the media report on other kids? The printed media reports (especially wanbao) on some unfortunate kids all along, remember the Yishun brother and sister some time back? Remember the girl who had to apply some kind of lotion everyday and doctors reported that she cant live thru teenage hood?

I remember all these unfortunate kids. Those were the days when Internet isn't common.

Nowadays information spreads so fast via the new media, internet, sms, blogs. etc

I believe such news are picked up much faster. Furthermore, her mum and family friend is genuinely providing updates and go all the way out to seek public help. Not to forget, anyone can simply post the information on their website. Hence, the publicity rose.

Personally when I receive this information yesterday morning, I felt obliged for some reasons. I seen my younger sister grow up.
sg.png

ColdFusion Jun 25th, 09, 03:51 PM #34
Back to the question why only help her when there are so many kids out there who are in the wrong side of things.

I think it's not "just helping her".

Personally I'm not so noble to help all the unfortunate kids. BUT if there is one who stepped out and seek help and if it's within the means, then help.

It's like, imagine a lost child on the streets crying. So you are not going to help the poor child and leave her there to try? Or do you not going to console the child and bring her to the management office? Since there are soooo many lost child in the world concurrently. So am I going to take the effort to ignore this child, go home, set up a website to talk about lost childs and how to let them find their way home?
sg.png
cygig
ZOMBiE

cygig Jun 25th, 09, 04:01 PM #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Back to the question why only help her when there are so many kids out there who are in the wrong side of things.

I think it's not "just helping her".

Personally I'm not so noble to help all the unfortunate kids. BUT if there is one who stepped out and seek help and if it's within the means, then help.

It's like, imagine a lost child on the streets crying. So you are not going to help the poor child and leave her there to try? Or do you not going to console the child and bring her to the management office? Since there are soooo many lost child in the world concurrently. So am I going to take the effort to ignore this child, go home, set up a website to talk about lost childs and how to let them find their way home?
Like the starfish story lah...u cant save all on the beach, but at least u can save those u picked.
sg.png
Gollum Registered User

Trade rep: 21 (100%)
Gollum Jun 25th, 09, 04:26 PM #36
gentlemen,

There is no right or wrong in issues like this.

If giving that donation makes you question yourself if you wasted that amount, dont do it.
If giving the amount has no material effect on yourself and you feel at least you tried, do it.

For **** sake shes just a little girl in need..Why debate over it. As a parent, the end justify the means.
"Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies." -- Voltaire His last words on his death bed when asked by a priest to renounce Satan.
sg.png
Qingkai Registered User

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
Qingkai Jun 25th, 09, 04:54 PM #37
oh well such things can help, help lo. Anyway chanced by this site AbSoLuT.juniors also doing sales of kids stuff for charmine also
sg.png
darKHell Brownhead

darKHell Jun 25th, 09, 08:05 PM #38
well guys, the point here is not ask u to go donate money to her, but instead let people know abt such things happening, and after knowing it, if possible, maybe they would want to go and watch the charity match (and at the same time do a donation), moreover, u can take it that u are paying to watch a match and not doing a donation.

There are other sites elsewhere doing donations, auction, selling stuff and such. As a community, we shld at least do a little part in spreading the word.

The point here isnt abt which person to help or which person not to help. And i have said before, helping goes 2 ways, one the person in need has to reach out (be in consider exploiting or not) and the others when possible shld lend a hand. There are tons of people out there that requires help almost everyday, and if we do know of such cases i am sure someone would post the news here.

Lastly, do what you can, no one is forcing you. And this thread is not a thread to force u to donate or anything, it is just to help spread the word. At the same time there is a charity match going on this sunday (not by VR-Zone), and all proceeds of the match will go to the family. If you like to relive the moments of the dream team glory, go watch it.
sg.png

ColdFusion Jun 25th, 09, 08:49 PM #39
I think this debate is not about money, not about donation; but it's about why this girl received so much attention.

However, by going into such a debate has shown how insensitive some people are. I think as what Edwin (darkHell) has mentioned, it's about spreading the word and use this chance to see a great soccer match, and indirectly help the family.
sg.png
dr_disciple
-=LAN 'O' Wii=-

Trade rep: 107 (100%)
dr_disciple Jun 25th, 09, 10:18 PM #40
Spread the word. Don't take much of your time. Even if its only a small banner below...
sg.png
leandro
CcCyraCostaCrizCory

Trade rep: 2 (100%)
leandro Jun 25th, 09, 11:46 PM #41
Her family's trying their best, and so is she. She's taking it day by day and being cheerful, and staying happy is what keeps everyone else going too..

Why bother about why other people are not receiving enough attention? As long as one steps out and is not afraid to ask for help, I don't see why there is anything wrong about people giving..

There may be other kids/people in need as well.. But this sparked off with Little Charmaine, and let's keep it just within that boundary.

Get well soon pretty princess.
sg.png
Vr-JJ-Sales
~Best among all~

Trade rep: 23 (100%)
Vr-JJ-Sales Jun 26th, 09, 02:46 PM #42
u have my blessing..
sg.png
nightviccent
Nerd Boy

Trade rep: 2 (100%)
nightviccent Jun 26th, 09, 02:49 PM #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWicked View Post
yr avatar=geeky. Yr emoticon=emo. Haha.
haha
Main Rig
[ Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz | GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3R Intel Z68 | Team Elite 8GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 @ 1600MHz | ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 DirectCU II 1280MB GDDR5 | CoolerMaster NVIDIA HAF X | CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W | Philips 240BW | Razer Ouroboros(mouse), Razer Blackwidow Ultimate(keyboard), Razer Manticor(mouse pad), Razer Megalodon(USB headset), Razer Orca(headphone) ]
sg.png
swiftee
M.o.d.e.r.n.a.t.o.r

Trade rep: 23 (100%)
swiftee Jun 27th, 09, 11:57 AM #44
Dear Charmaine, Do get well soon. Stay strong and i am praying for you everyday. And Charmaine's mum do take care of yrself you have all of our support.
Blacklisted : Rhymes

AMD K6II X4 @ 4.5GHz.
AMD K6-II Antique Mainboard .
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO With Dual Corsair Fans
Gskill 16GB Ram Ungang Mode.
Crucial M4 128GB SSD.
Western D Blue 1TB.
Sapphire AMD HD 5850 1GB.
Creative X-Fi X-treme Gamer.
LG DVDRW.
Super Sunflower GK 550W O.C 80PLUS platinium.
Altec Lansing ATP3
Lian Li Aluminium 2 X USB 3.0.ATX tower Case.
Wins 7 Pro 64 Bit / Debian.
sg.png
kyosuke69

Trade rep: 0 (50%)
kyosuke69 Jun 27th, 09, 03:53 PM #45
I'm selling some of my g-star stuff to help raise some funds for her...

G-STAR CLEARANCE. PROCEEDS WILL GO TO CHARMAINE. - VR-Zone IT & Lifestyle Forum!
sg.png
↑↓ Linkbacks
Posted By For Type Date
Feisty Princess Charmaine: Badges & Buttons This thread Refback Jun 25th, 14 02:47 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine This thread Refback May 31st, 14 02:37 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: A birthday with a whole new meaning... for my feisty little princess... Happy Birthday Charmaine. This thread Refback Jan 17th, 14 06:50 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine This thread Refback Jun 20th, 12 11:16 AM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: January 2012 This thread Refback Jan 20th, 12 04:45 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: December 2011 This thread Refback Dec 28th, 11 11:56 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: Who We Are This thread Refback Nov 15th, 11 09:48 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: On Char Operation This thread Refback Oct 27th, 11 11:26 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: Wake Details This thread Refback Oct 25th, 11 06:10 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: Really too much This thread Refback Oct 20th, 11 11:51 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: O+ Platelets and Blood This thread Refback Jan 6th, 11 10:54 AM
blekko | http://vr-zone.com/ /link This thread Refback Dec 1st, 10 07:14 AM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: Admitted again at 12 midnight with a fever and tummy ache This thread Refback Mar 28th, 10 09:41 AM
[Singapore] Spreading A Word: Help Charmaine Fight Against Neuroblastoma - The Banzai! Effect This thread Refback Nov 25th, 09 05:34 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: Little helpers This thread Refback Aug 13th, 09 12:35 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: July 2009 This thread Refback Jul 2nd, 09 04:50 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: Fund Raising (Baking) BROWNIES This thread Refback Jul 1st, 09 03:33 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: Fund Raising activities This thread Refback Jun 30th, 09 01:59 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: A BIG THANK YOU to everyone!!!!!!!!!! This thread Refback Jun 30th, 09 01:52 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: Rafi Ali Soccer School , with thanks This thread Refback Jun 30th, 09 10:49 AM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: February 2009 This thread Refback Jun 26th, 09 12:48 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: Updates on Donation This thread Refback Jun 24th, 09 09:36 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: Updates for Day 6 after surgery This thread Refback Jun 24th, 09 08:12 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine: On Cash Donation and Pay Pal This thread Refback Jun 24th, 09 05:14 PM
Feisty Princess Charmaine This thread Refback Jun 24th, 09 01:55 PM

New Thread | ↑↓ Similar Threads