Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
DragonFire To SMP or not to SMP?

Trade rep: 9 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
So what happens if you ingest liquid nitrogen? DragonFire Aug 19th, 09, 10:27 AM #1
Supposedly the real life account of a survivor from MIT.

Quote:
And so I get back to school, start my senior year, two research projects, grad school applications, GRE preparation, and the like. The year started off good, but that all changed about two months ago. Some of you (especially those at Berkeley) may have heard rumors of some bizarre accident that I was involved in. So here is the truth, unabridged, for those of you who actually want to know...

Around the second week of school, the society of physics students held a roughly annual welcome back party, and, as tradition dictates, we made our own ice cream with liquid nitrogen (77 K) as a refrigerant and aerator.

Things were going fine for a while. We spilled a little of the nitrogen onto a table, and watched tiny little drops of it dance around. Then someone asked, 'why does it do that?'

That may have been the point of no return. I, as is traditionally my role, answered that the nitrogen evaporates at the surface of the table, which provides a cushion of air for the drop to sit on, and thermally insulates the drop to minimize further evaporation. So you see a drop dance around without boiling away, and without interacting with the table and getting slowed down or smeared out. Then, I continued...

I mentioned that the same principle makes it possible to dip a wet hand into molten lead, or to drink liquid nitrogen without injury.

I had done the latter several years earlier in a cryogenics lab, and remembered the physics behind how it worked. Naturally, people around me were skeptical. 'You can't drink the stuff... it'll freeze your whole body... remember terminator 2?' but I was sure of myself. I had done it before, and I believed in the physics behind it.

So, naturally, I poured myself a glass and took a shot. Simple: Swallow, blow smoke out nose and mouth and impress everyone at the party.

Within about two seconds, I had collapsed to the floor, unable to breathe or feel anything other than intense pain.

Ambulance arrives. Police arrive. Trip to hospital. Admission. Try to explain to ER staff exactly how something like this happens. Then I pass out.

I wake up next morning connected to many machines, some beeping, others performing more important functions like digesting my food and breathing for me.

Turns out that, in accordance with popular belief, you really should not drink the stuff. I eventually learned a few things about liquid nitrogen. Like... while you can safely put it in your mouth, and blow neat smoke patterns, you should never ever ever swallow. First off, the closing of the epiglottis prevents the nitrogen gas from escaping, so it is forced into your body instead. Second, your esophagus naturally constricts around anything inside it, so, even if there is a thin protective gas layer, the esophagus will find a way to make contact with the liquid nitrogen.

Also turns out that my memory was flawed. When I had done it six years ago, I put it into my mouth and didn't swallow. Over time, that fineline between parlor trick and near fatal accident must have blurred.

So... the consequences... my entire upper GI tract, from epiglottis to the bottom of the stomach was badly burned, scarred, and perforated. The gas also expanded quite a bit while inside my body. It filled my chest cavity with several liters of nitrogen gas, which was under enough presuure to collapse a lung. So after what I'm told was a grueling all night surgery, they removed part of my stomach, and had my entire digestive system, top to bottom, running on machine power for a while. I also had a breather for the first day or so, until my lung was restored. There are a few details which are considerably uglier which I will spare you.

So... the recovery... they were impressed with my recuperative skills. I could breathe on my own completely after a few days. I could sit up in bed after a week, and was walking in two. About that time, I began to eat again as well. After four weeks, I was up and about again. Now, something like eight weeks, I'm virtually healed, with the exception of a number of unsightly scars.

But.... the good news is that I am the first documented medical case of a cryogenic ingestion. Read the new england journal of medicine. Three articles are in review now, and will be published soon, I'm told. These days, my little adventure leaves me with bad jokes at physics department meetings, and the occasional blurb in the school paper. 'Make Mikey drink it. Mikey likes it.' I've also picked up the nickname

'Nitro-Mike,' which is somehow supposed to sound cool, because it conjures up images of nitro-glycerin, which implies I'm a bad mother. I don't buy it.

If any of you guys have heard a variation on this story, let me know. I'm always curious to hear how these things sound third and fourth hand. I was on a follow-up visit to the hospital, and I mentioned to one of the nurses that I go to WPI. And he said that he heard about some kid from WPI who broke into a lab in the middle of the night and stole some liquid nitrogen to try and get high. Then, as the story goes, by the time he gets to the hospital, he's in pretty bad shape. His lower jaw has to be amputated, as well as his tongue. He can never eat solid foods again, and also has a 'bag,' if you know what I mean. I didn't have the heart to tell this guy the truth, because the story was so good at that point.

So, that, in a nutshell, is what's happened to me. Nowadays, I'm back to my normal self... school, thesis work, grad apps, playing music, talking on the radio, and suffering over women.

So here I am.

Michael

Unix Guru Ian B.:
They said it wasn't possible, but I've just proved them wrong...
#
# uptime

1:10pm up 1000 days, 2:51, 2 users, load average: 0.27, 0.35, 0.27

Views expressed are my own and are not representative of that of VR-Zone.
sg.png
Thanks to DragonFire for this useful post! Aug 19th, 09, from sabe
TheTrap
私は黒髪ロリかな. ...

Trade rep: 82 (99%)
TheTrap Aug 19th, 09, 10:37 AM #2
'Nitro-Mike,' which is somehow supposed to sound cool, because it conjures up images of nitro-glycerin, which implies I'm a bad mother. I don't buy it.

What the hell he can change his sex ?
sg.png
sabe Super Meanarator

Trade rep: 220 (100%)
sabe Aug 19th, 09, 10:38 AM #3
I love a good story!
sg.png
Lillith
Superorbital ⊂( ^ω^)⊃

Trade rep: 33 (97%)
Lillith Aug 19th, 09, 10:46 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTimX View Post

Bad mother-beep-.
sg.png
Chris_Moneymaker
Poker 4 Life~

Trade rep: 28 (100%)
Chris_Moneymaker Aug 19th, 09, 05:18 PM #5
hoho....u know the consequences....why u do it...-_-
sg.png
tUx

Trade rep: 186 (100%)
tUx Aug 19th, 09, 05:22 PM #6
sg.png
cygig
ZOMBiE

Trade rep: 4 (100%)
cygig Aug 19th, 09, 06:11 PM #7
this is call liquid cooling...
sg.png
MeteorFlare OT4KU!FTW!

Trade rep: 45 (100%)
MeteorFlare Aug 19th, 09, 07:39 PM #8
awesome read.
A forum post should be like a skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.

Project theCutelittleloliSpider-
Q6600 / P45-T2RS+ / Red Tracers 2x2GB / Dark Xtreem 2x2GB / WD1500HLFS / WD15EADS / 4850 / 550W
Project theLustylittleloliWolf-
i3-530 / H55N-USB3 / Kingston 2x4GB / SSDSA2M040G2GC / WD2002FAEX / GTX660Ti / 450W
My PlayToys-
| Sony PlayStation3 White | Microsoft Xbox Black | Nintendo Wii | Nintendo DSL Black | Sony Xperia Z Black | iPad 3rd Gen Black 32GB 4G+WiFi | Nintendo 3DS XL Blue | Sony PSP 3000 White | Sony PS Vita Black WiFi |
My Mobile Rig-
| Sony Vaio Z112GX/Silver |
Lovin'..
iPhone
sg.png
SYY
Retired Member of NYDB!

Trade rep: 2 (100%)
SYY Aug 19th, 09, 09:02 PM #9
cool sia...literally and metaphorically
Way Of The Dragon: From a distance - 20 paddlers move in perfect rhythm to a muted drum beat, gracefully skimming the water's surface. Up close - determined grunts and strained sinews with oars in grip, dig vigorously into the water. The majestic head of the dragon fronts this contraption but the real heart lies just behind it, at the apex of the bow. Like a conductor of an orchestra, the drummer leads his crew with the calculated beat of his drum. Such is the realm of dragon boating.

Rig Overhaul! 20/06/2014:
| Asrock B85M Pro 4 + Intel i5 4460 Haswell | Zotac GTX760 AMP! Edtn GDDR5 2GB | G.Skill RipJaws-X DDR3-1600 CL9 4GB x 2 | Toshiba 2TB SATA3 | Crucial MX100 128GB SATA3 | Western Digital 320GB SATA2 | LG SATA 20x DVDRW | FSP Aurum S Gold 600W | Lian Li PC007AIM |
sg.png
HeartWong

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
HeartWong Aug 19th, 09, 09:39 PM #10
Thanks for the story..
Good read..
sg.png
hellspawn_one

hellspawn_one Aug 19th, 09, 09:46 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTimX View Post

it means "bad mother farker"... but since it is a made to public article, cannot be rude mah.... so stop at "bad mother"

Most people are scared of falling but not me! I'm just scared of the landing...
sg.png
LgO-sluglives Banned

Trade rep: 1 (100%)
LgO-sluglives Aug 19th, 09, 09:51 PM #12
Educated Noob.
sg.png
simplyadvanced
resistance is futile.

simplyadvanced Aug 19th, 09, 10:34 PM #13
no leidenfrost effect?
sg.png
tUx

Trade rep: 186 (100%)
tUx Aug 19th, 09, 10:40 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorFlare View Post
awesome read.
U wanna try too?
sg.png
cygig
ZOMBiE

Trade rep: 4 (100%)
cygig Aug 19th, 09, 11:48 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyadvanced View Post
no leidenfrost effect?
He got explain why leidenfrost dint happen in his case.
sg.png
↑↓ Linkbacks
Posted By For Type Date
Worst thing you've put in your mouth? : AskReddit This thread Refback Dec 15th, 12 08:25 AM
ELI5: How do we make sure the International Space Station has oxygen at all times? (from an actual eleven-year-old!) : explainlikeimfive This thread Refback Oct 2nd, 12 02:18 AM
So what happens if you ingest liquid nitrogen? This thread Refback Jun 5th, 12 03:30 PM
So what happens if you ingest liquid nitrogen? This thread Refback Jun 5th, 12 06:11 AM
iwatchyousleep comments on Worst thing you've put in your mouth? This thread Refback Dec 12th, 11 04:39 AM
highway61 comments on Worst thing you've put in your mouth? This thread Refback Dec 2nd, 11 01:52 PM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth? : AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 06:37 PM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth? : AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 08:39 AM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth? : AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 08:09 AM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth? : AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 07:28 AM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth? : AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 07:16 AM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth?:AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 07:02 AM
amednor comments on Worst thing you've put in your mouth? This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 06:52 AM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth? : AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 06:35 AM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth?: AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 06:16 AM
king_of_blades comments on Worst thing you've put in your mouth? This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 05:59 AM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth? : AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 05:32 AM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth? : AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 05:31 AM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth? :AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 04:48 AM
Worst thing you've put in your mouth? : AskReddit This thread Refback Nov 19th, 11 04:41 AM

New Thread | ↑↓ Similar Threads