Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
El_Presidente Guest

Trade rep: (%)
Infractions: / ()
The Show must go ON!! El_Presidente Apr 15th, 03, 12:51 AM #1

Lets come back to work gentleman
Start your engines we have along way to go )

de.png
Lazy_Rat Guest

Lazy_Rat Apr 15th, 03, 03:25 AM #2
Well, I just compared the components (resistors) on the backside of a 2.4B and a 3.06HT CPU, they look exatly the same .
I diddent get a chance the measure the values of the resistors, so theres still slim chance...
dk.png
Mad-Marty Guest

Mad-Marty Apr 16th, 03, 01:07 AM #3
Did anyone already had a look on intels "HT readyness tool" ?

There is a file called "microupd.dat" for example ... maybe this can help ???

(for the theory of having a programmable area on the cpu's)
de.png
Granny Guest

Granny Apr 16th, 03, 06:02 AM #4
i found some more intersting information about the local apic's ... (each logical cpu has a local apic), i hope i don't repeat someone else:
local apic's can be enabled and disabled or by software or by a flag in the IA32_apic_base msr ....
maybe this could be interesting ...
look for more information on page 276 in the intel architecture manual part3:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pent...s/24547210.pdf
hope some-one knows how to work with this ...
be.png
Granny Guest

Granny Apr 21st, 03, 06:14 AM #5
if someone else is willing to try install the multiprocessordrivers in windows: that only is not enough. tried it, a had only one processor in my multiprocessor system. (too bad, but i expected it, just wanted to be sure)
be.png
Wolfie8881 Guest

Wolfie8881 Apr 22nd, 03, 02:19 AM #6
I been looking for a post like this forever, i got a gigabyte MB (8PE667 Ultra), i found out it had bios update to give support to Hyperthreading, i have a P4 2.5Ghz, i updated the bios and the option is not visible on the bios setup, but now some programs on windows detected 2 cpus, like 3dmark, so im just wondering if anybody else had this experience.
ca.png
Granny Guest

Granny Apr 22nd, 03, 05:33 AM #7
what??? it did recognize 2 cpu's? only ristar had that option, but he had full HT support ... i don't think someone here saw 2 cpu's in 3dmark.
can you tell us a little bit more about your system? what OS, which cpu-stepping, what 3dmark, ... (maybe some pics or so).
going to check 3dmark at my pc ... (guess not, nor my mobo nor the cpu is "HTT", but who knows ...)
and please don't tell that it was in wcpuid (only program that recognized HTT where it was not ... until now it appears).

edit: what bus-speed and MP do you have? what does your task-manager say? (if win2k/XP).
my 3dmark03 only gives one cpu.
what did you had before bios-upgrade?
be.png
Last edited by Granny; Apr 22nd, 03 at 05:41 AM..
lime4x4 Guest

lime4x4 Apr 22nd, 03, 06:00 AM #8
I have the P4 2.4B processor
gigabyte ga-sinxp1394 main board...
Under sisandra under main board it shows 2 cpu's
Also 3dmark 2003 shows 2 cpu's
But i have no option to enable it in the bios..
Currently running the cpu you 169 fbs....I would really like to be able to enable htt on this processor...
Running xp pro with sp1a
us.png
Wolfie8881 Guest

Wolfie8881 Apr 22nd, 03, 06:18 AM #9
This is my system spec..

Windows XP Pro
P4 2.5 GHZ
Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra
512MB PC2700 (kingston)
Sound Blaster Audigy
20GB HD

The weird thing is that the system info on 3dmark actually says i got 2 x Intel Pentium® 4 @ 2.55 GHz, but nothing else does, windows task manager only shows 1, my motherboard came with the bios version F2 with no hyperthreading support,after i updated it to version F3 (with HT support) then 3dmark says i got 2 cpus, my version of 3dmark is 2001 SE pro build 330, im not sure how to post a picture but i can e-mail it if you want.
ca.png
Granny Guest

Granny Apr 22nd, 03, 03:56 PM #10
no, that's not necessary i think, i believe you (the post here would be interesting, but i really understand your problem, i have troubles with it too).

it's strange, i thought only wcpuid recognized HTT, now it appears there are programs that even see 2 cpu's ... that makes me wonder why some software can see it, and other not ...
why can't windows itself see it (if we can make windows see it, it think all the other software can see them).
this is interesting because we knew HTT can be enabled by software, but we don't know how.

and where is everybody else? after this crash they all dissapeared ... they know so much more than i do ...
be.png
Crispy Guest

Crispy Apr 24th, 03, 04:47 AM #11
Ok, I have a 2.4B too and a Soltek SL-85ERV2 Mainboard with the VIA P4X400A chipset. Its updated with the latest AJ2L hyper-thread-supporting BIOS. There even is an option in BIOS to turn it on/off.

If I try running wcpuid it shows HTT supported, but none of the programs you mentioned above see 2 cpus. Well, its better than nothing i suppose.

Now, I don't know how big and informative this treat was before the crash. But is this whole enable HT thing posible at all? ... Has anyone gotten a 2.4B (or eq.) up and running with some kind of special Microcode update, Windows HT strap driver or Override thing? ... or is those above mentioned 2 CPU stories just random "errors"?
dk.png
rp_guy Guest

rp_guy Apr 24th, 03, 06:07 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie8881
This is my system spec..

Windows XP Pro
P4 2.5 GHZ
Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra
512MB PC2700 (kingston)
Sound Blaster Audigy
20GB HD

The weird thing is that the system info on 3dmark actually says i got 2 x Intel Pentium® 4 @ 2.55 GHz, but nothing else does, windows task manager only shows 1, my motherboard came with the bios version F2 with no hyperthreading support,after i updated it to version F3 (with HT support) then 3dmark says i got 2 cpus, my version of 3dmark is 2001 SE pro build 330, im not sure how to post a picture but i can e-mail it if you want.

here's what you do

press control+alt+delete to get the Windows Task Manager
Go to the Performance tab, and then if there's 2 cpu then it should look like this :

http://www.reviewmakers.com/showdoc.php?article=16&pg=3
ca.png
Granny Guest

Granny Apr 24th, 03, 06:11 AM #13
well ... this thread was huge ... like more than 160 pages. problem is that i don't know everything what's in there ... i'm not that smart, nor my memory is that good. so let this be a call to anybody who can make a review or so about this thread: please, it's needed ... but i'm afraid that the people who can do it are dissapeared (from this thread) with the crash ...

even your (crispy) story is new ... it could only be done by a bios-hack (and not an upgrade) with the same result ...

what surprises me is that the new biosses seem to recognize the HTT, even if the cpu is "not" HTT-supported.
but i said it a long time ago (and i still think so): i think it is possible with a software-hack or so. problem is: i don't have got a clue how to do it.

to all of you who can see HTT in one or another way (and not only in wcpuid, that i can do for myself): what stepping do you have? is it the latest stepping (i think it is C1 ... but not sure)

again: can anybody make a discussion or so about this thread for the last few months? yes, i know, it's huge and very difficult ... (i would like to, but really, i can't ...)
a call to vrforums: is there no back-up from this thread? that would be ver very usefull.
i would be a disaster if we have to start all over again ...

edit: 60 had to be 160
be.png
Last edited by Granny; Jun 4th, 03 at 03:59 PM..
El_Presidente Guest

El_Presidente Apr 24th, 03, 06:38 AM #14
plz dont post that your cpu support HT when you use wcpuid, we know that!
i hope ristar and all the other geniuses come back.
i talked with a person of the computer magazine c´t in germany
and maybe we can get support of them.
i suggest that ristar write an email to them (contact me plz)
and describe them what you have done to get HT.

thats all for now

bye
de.png
Alaskan DJ Guest

Thinking Alaskan DJ Apr 24th, 03, 04:26 PM #15
Hey,

I was just pondering some points made about HT.
  • Is present on most Northwoods

One person out of thousands has been able to get it working on a non 3.06.

May have been burnt off the chip. (I don't know how they do this, wheter it is with probes on the die or throught the pins on the bottom)

Older MB can get a card to sit between the chip and mb and transmit a signal through the A32 (I forgot the pin, but you know what i mean) pin to enable HT on the CPU.

So, what I was thinking, and it hasn't been checked yet, is that they (intel) pump alot of current through the HT Pin and blow the bridge (like some people do to unlock XPs), leaving an open circuit, stopping the HT enable signal coming through and effectively stopping HT.

So if someone who by some chance owns a 3.06 and a 2.8 could check the resistance of the HT pin, and the others, between all the positive pins and the negative pins.

NOTE: I have no idea if the small voltages used by digital multimeters to check resistance will in anyway damage the CPU.

Just my 2 cents as ristar's P4 might have not been burnt out.

Cya
au.png
Last edited by Alaskan DJ; Apr 24th, 03 at 04:29 PM..
Linear Mode Linear Mode