Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
Visionary
Founder

Trade rep: 1 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
An Insight To Creative X-Fi Plans Visionary Jun 18th, 07, 03:06 PM #1

VR-Zone has a good opportunity to talk to a bunch of X-Fi guys over at Creative Technology recently and we managed to find out a little more about their direction and upcoming plans. We learned that Creative will continue to focus on their X-Fi technology and is in fact very open to licensing of their technology. There is a shift from sales of complete solutions to chipset solutions. One fine example is the licensing of their X-Fi technology and sale of the X-Fi sound chips to Auzentech where they are going to release the Prelude 7.1 into the market soon.

Creative even provides the reference design kits to 3rd party manufacturers and assist them to make even better sound cards. This is obviously a major step for Creative in opening up their business and allow 3rd party access to their advance technology where previously have been pretty conservative in this aspect. We heard more talks are currently underway with potential partners to take up their X-Fi technology. When we asked them about 3rd party competition to their own series of sound cards, Creative replied that they don't mind competition as they feel that more choices of X-Fi based sound cards are in fact good for them (they get to sell more X-Fi chips) and for the consumers.

Another thing assuring for users is that Creative pledged continued support for EAX on Vista platforms through their ALchemy project as also further development on X-Fi to improve on low bitrate compressed music (not lossless). It is interesting to know that Creative might attempt to take on the audiophile market by making audiophile standard sound cards by themselves or perhaps through 3rd party makers. Moving ahead, Creative will not just concentrate PC sound card but to move on to other platforms like MP3 players, video players etc. One interesting aspect Creative is going to target is Car Audio market. It is kinda cool to enjoy X-Fi quality sound in your cars.

Lastly, we managed to find out a little more about the X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express card that surfaced in Akibahara Japan recently. Creative revealed that the sound chip has a PCI to PCIe bridge internally but the downside is that the latency is high so they plan to have the native PCI Express X-Fi chips coming by end of 2007.

If you have any burning questions regarding Creative X-Fi, please post them here. We will compile them and present them the questions when we meet them up the next time.

sg.png
Knight_Rider

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
Knight_Rider Jun 18th, 07, 03:11 PM #2
Interesting question will be HDMI 1.3 and latest high-def DTS and DD audio format. Will all these be in a new X-Fi ver2?
sg.png
booest
集中精神, 闭关修行

Trade rep: 62 (100%)
booest Jun 18th, 07, 03:15 PM #3
com'on... show us some juice

Life is a Gift, Never take it forgranted
| i5ooest:i5-2500K cooldby Shuriken Rev-B | Gene-Z mATX | 4 x 4GB DDR3 | Veloci 600Gb | S12-600W |
| Alcadia X3 -Black fortified by Silent9 |2707WFP (16:10) |

sg.png
fungry
Noob Chinaboy Overclocker

fungry Jun 18th, 07, 03:23 PM #4
cool update . appreciate it. does creative have any plans to renew their x-fi lineup? considering how long the current fatal1ty series products involving the xtremegamer and such have been out in the market. perhaps a new lineup to transfer to the pcie port?
cn.png
Bonn
Over the Cable

Trade rep: 6 (100%)
Bonn Jun 18th, 07, 03:26 PM #5
Cool. I do hope their MP3 players will come with the X-Fi processor. It does helps to improve the quality of the sound. ^^ Maybe an addon for hi-fi systems?
sg.png
floppy Constantinople

Trade rep: 28 (100%)
floppy Jun 18th, 07, 03:32 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn
Cool. I do hope their MP3 players will come with the X-Fi processor. It does helps to improve the quality of the sound. ^^ Maybe an addon for hi-fi systems?
We spoke to Creative regarding implementing the EMU20K4 DSP on Creative external soundcards and MP3 players, but according to them, it's not viable due to high costs which will result in their PMPs being less competitive in the market.
sg.png
Bonn
Over the Cable

Trade rep: 6 (100%)
Bonn Jun 18th, 07, 03:38 PM #7
Unless they want to mass market the hardware. They should do what apple did for Ipod. Exclusively for certain products. That will really make people buy and to own it. The sound quality does makes a difference not just cos its name is X-Fi. IPODs are not cheap either. Just that they look slim and have the cool factor. Hmmm...Maybe Creative need some really 'creative' people to come out with something which will break IPOD's grip.
sg.png
Last edited by Bonn; Jun 18th, 07 at 03:42 PM..
yantronic
Newbie of Past & Present

Trade rep: 5 (100%)
yantronic Jun 18th, 07, 03:47 PM #8
AFAIK the use of a higher end DSP will raise power consumption levels that does nothing (good) for Creative's existing PMP battery life. The X-Fi technology is not limited to their in-house DSPs as we have found out in the recent dissection of the Xmod Wireless here.

The Crystalliser function that forms a major part of the X-Fi attraction appears to be a psychoacoustic attempt at improving on low bitrate lossy formats. Lossless users would probably find that the Crystalliser unnecessary at best. A similar function can be performed by plugins such as this for Winamp.

To put any DSP that shapes the original source signal in any HiFi component is blasphemous to the Straight-Wire-With-Gain cult audiophiles are associated with.

Keep the questions coming. For all you know that function you've been waiting for could be implemented in the next X-Fi.
Quote:
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of VR-Zone (VR Media PTE LTD Singapore) or any of their affiliates.

sg.png
Last edited by floppy; Jun 18th, 07 at 03:50 PM..
booest
集中精神, 闭关修行

booest Jun 18th, 07, 03:53 PM #9
stay focused...! that is all i have to say to creative.... we have had a few threads on creative and its business and products and how to push creative into the next era... its tough but i see a possibility!

[D] Tech Talk: Creative

| i5ooest:i5-2500K cooldby Shuriken Rev-B | Gene-Z mATX | 4 x 4GB DDR3 | Veloci 600Gb | S12-600W |

sg.png
TanKianW
Infant de Terrible

TanKianW Jun 18th, 07, 03:57 PM #10
I think Creative gives a not here, not there company image.

IMO, Speakers not the worst in PC line MM speakers but also sub-par,

MP3 player serve the purpose but do not have the X-factor to attract ladies customers to pay for. Pls put in more effort in product design, learn from Sony and Apple. Most ppl won't mind sound quality from a MP3 player, looks comes first most of the time.

Hope Creative can be more focus on their strength and achieve more in cross cooperation with other companies. I will like to see more X-fi chips or X-fi soundcard attachment on future motherboards. Enough of the crap from "Realtek" audio man!

Pls....no flaming.
sg.png
booest
集中精神, 闭关修行

booest Jun 18th, 07, 04:12 PM #11
realtek lan even worst...-_-

sg.png
yantronic
Newbie of Past & Present

Trade rep: 5 (100%)
yantronic Jun 18th, 07, 04:15 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanKianW
I will like to see more X-fi chips or X-fi soundcard attachment on future motherboards.
MSI has done it with an Audigy in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanKianW
Enough of the crap from "Realtek" audio man!
I probably won't mind Realtek if it comes with a MSB, Wadia or Orpheus.
Quote:
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of VR-Zone (VR Media PTE LTD Singapore) or any of their affiliates.

sg.png
floppy Constantinople

Trade rep: 28 (100%)
floppy Jun 18th, 07, 04:22 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantronic
MSI has done it with an Audigy in the past.I probably won't mind Realtek if it comes with a MSB, Wadia or Orpheus.
actually X-Fi too. hehe.
sg.png
qwerty69 Registered User

Trade rep: 20 (100%)
qwerty69 Jun 18th, 07, 04:29 PM #14
On the gaming front, not enough leading games are using EAX. The technology is there but game developers not using it means we can't enjoy even when we have a X-Fi card.

| I7 920, Asus P6T6 WS Revo, Corsair DDR3-1600, XFX GTX-295, Dell 2407WFP, Intel X25M x 2 Raid0
+ WD Caviar Black x 4 Raid5 ~ Areca 1231ML Raid Card, Enermax Revo 1050W, Alcadia XR1 Black Knight |

Water Cooling : DDC-2 x 2 with Petra Tops, TFC120.2/TC120.3, Koolance 350AT/NX295, Mips mobo blocks, S-Flex fans.
sg.png
PhiBer

Trade rep: 91 (96%)
PhiBer Jun 18th, 07, 05:27 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty69
On the gaming front, not enough leading games are using EAX. The technology is there but game developers not using it means we can't enjoy even when we have a X-Fi card.
Ya.. that is why more and more ppl are going for audiophile cards and not x-fi..
pay the premium but cannot use it..

get a tokyostyle better!
Now i also thinking of dumping my x-fi..
sg.png
Linear Mode Linear Mode