Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    experienced newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio, Singapore
    Posts
    126

    Can I still activate my XP after 8th April 2014?

    Extended Support for Windows XP will end on 8th of April 2014. What happens after that? Can I still activate my copy of Windows XP? If not, how can I continue using XP on my lappy? I can't upgrade to Vista because there are no Vista display drivers for my lappy. Even if Windows XP remains activatable, how long will it still be able to?

    Also, in the event that Microsoft closes down, will I still be able to use my copy of Windows XP? How can I play all the DRM protected WMA files I purchased over the internet? Can I play them in Linux?

    I have searched the internet, but Google returns me forums full of opinions but no facts. Maybe I'm just bad at using Google...
    Current Rig:
    -Intel Q9450 @ 3.4GHz
    -Gigabyte EP35-DS3P
    -Corsair DDR2-800 CL4 2x2GB
    -XpertVision Radeon 4850

    WTB:
    -32GB SSD
    -GGW-H20L

  2. #2
    M'mmmmm...
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,011
    Activation was allow authorized users to download hotfix or services pack, even if the end of life for XP is over, you can just bypass the activation should MS shutdown their XP activation system.

    So activation is nothing but a bullshit.

    DRM verification is not from MS lah, but from the media network where you loading streaming audio/video contents from, which mean its has nothing to do with MS.

    [Updated]
    All media players on Linux platform will not able to play encrypted DRM contents unless you run WMP on Wine. Not sure if DRM will work there.
    Last edited by proyb2; May 6th, 08 at 01:45 AM.

  3. #3
    Moderator BaLtO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,575
    If the company you purchasing DRM music from closes down, then good luck to your DRM tracks ...
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-drm-keys.html
    That's why DRM is very dependent on the company you are paying for.

    And ya, DRM is bad ...
    Last edited by BaLtO; May 6th, 08 at 07:01 AM.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhuh View Post
    Extended Support for Windows XP will end on 8th of April 2014. What happens after that? Can I still activate my copy of Windows XP? If not, how can I continue using XP on my lappy? I can't upgrade to Vista because there are no Vista display drivers for my lappy. Even if Windows XP remains activatable, how long will it still be able to?

    Also, in the event that Microsoft closes down, will I still be able to use my copy of Windows XP? How can I play all the DRM protected WMA files I purchased over the internet? Can I play them in Linux?

    I have searched the internet, but Google returns me forums full of opinions but no facts. Maybe I'm just bad at using Google...
    most likely, you will be getting a new laptop by 2014

  5. #5
    Moderator BaLtO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,575
    Most likely, win 7 that time will be more widely used than other windows.

  6. #6
    Registered User masotime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bishan, SG
    Posts
    1,042
    Windows XP was released in 2001 (source). By 2014 it would be 13 years old. The closest comparison to this is Windows 95 released in 1995. It's now 2008 - 13 years have passed. How many people bother to use Windows 95 today, and/or are bothered about support for it?

  7. #7
    Registered User kailongsim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    815
    WinXP will be screwed the moment vista becomes more stable and prices of RAMs drop even further.. then the notorious resource-hog will be nothing with majority of us having 4GB rams..

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by kailongsim View Post
    WinXP will be screwed the moment vista becomes more stable and prices of RAMs drop even further.. then the notorious resource-hog will be nothing with majority of us having 4GB rams..
    not to mention that almost all cpu now are 64bit

  9. #9
    a.k.a tHE oNe chengpenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by masotime View Post
    Windows XP was released in 2001 (source). By 2014 it would be 13 years old. The closest comparison to this is Windows 95 released in 1995. It's now 2008 - 13 years have passed. How many people bother to use Windows 95 today, and/or are bothered about support for it?
    Yesh well said... Totally agree. Consumers would probably not be using Windows XP by then. Maybe Windows 7 or something newer.
    MCSA, MCTS: SQL Server 2005
    Camera: EOS 1D Mk III | EOS 5D Mk III | EOS 5D Mk II + BG | 16-35L II | 24L II | 50L | 135L | 100macro | Sigma 85f1.4 | 600EX-RT | 580EX II
    Mobile: Lenovo ThinkPad x220/x201 | Crucial C300 128GB
    Cavalier: Workstation
    | Intel Core i7-2600 | Asus P8P67 Pro | Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3-1600 16GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Many WD Caviars | Palit GeForce GTS250 1GB | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro | Pioneer DVR-213LS | Corsair HX620W | CM690 | Samsung PX2370

    Titan: File Server
    | Intel C2D E6420 w/ Arctic Freezer 7 Pro | Asus P5B-E Plus | Kingston 2GB DDR2 667MHz | WD Cavair SE2 320GB AAKS x 4 (RAID 0+1) | WD Caviar 250GB | HIS x1050 | LG GSA-4167B | Silverstone ST50EF 500w |Antec Titan Chassis

  10. #10
    Moderator BaLtO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by universe View Post
    not to mention that almost all cpu now are 64bit
    But most software ain't all 64-bit.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    116
    if you are so worried about things like this, its best to buy insurance!

    Let me offer you Windows XP non-activation insurance!

    For $100 per year, I will insure you against failure of Win XP to activate in your laptop.^

    How about that, now you have complete peace of mind!


    ^ No claim if your laptop breaks down or is otherwise non-functional before 2014 or has any hardware change that violates the EULA of your XP licence.

  12. #12
    M'mmmmm...
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,011
    Quote Originally Posted by limster View Post
    if you are so worried about things like this, its best to buy insurance!

    Let me offer you Windows XP non-activation insurance!

    For $100 per year, I will insure you against failure of Win XP to activate in your laptop.^

    How about that, now you have complete peace of mind!


    ^ No claim if your laptop breaks down or is otherwise non-functional before 2014 or has any hardware change that violates the EULA of your XP licence.
    erm?

  13. #13
    SOTX Singapore maa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Under the Sky
    Posts
    6,741
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhuh View Post
    Extended Support for Windows XP will end on 8th of April 2014. What happens after that? Can I still activate my copy of Windows XP? If not, how can I continue using XP on my lappy? I can't upgrade to Vista because there are no Vista display drivers for my lappy. Even if Windows XP remains activatable, how long will it still be able to?

    Also, in the event that Microsoft closes down, will I still be able to use my copy of Windows XP? How can I play all the DRM protected WMA files I purchased over the internet? Can I play them in Linux?

    I have searched the internet, but Google returns me forums full of opinions but no facts. Maybe I'm just bad at using Google...
    still another 6 years boss ......... nothing much too worry about it ....

    Windows 7 will come .......

    I will be leaving Singapore by end of July 2009
    Thank you very much for the awesome badminton games during the last 4 years.
    Keep in touch

  14. #14
    M'mmmmm...
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,011
    or we will throw ourselves to the ground should Windows 8 (codename Infinte) appear too...

  15. #15
    Registered User Alc2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    21
    lol why not you set the date to 2015 and try.