Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
&d00
ndoo

Trade rep: 24 (96%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Linksys VOIP Gateway with Router - Should I get it? &d00 Apr 27th, 07, 05:17 PM #1

Hey people, I saw this:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=5719193890B05

It has 1 phone jack for plugging to the wall socket, 1 phone jeck for plugging to my phone, and the rest are standard router LAN/WAN ports.

It supports VOIP (specifically SIP and pfingoTALK for me) and can receive calls from both VOIP and teh wall socket.

It can also conference call VOIP, wall socket and my own telephone at the same time, redirect calls, route calls, etc, etc, etc (look at the datasheet).

It's an amazing solution if I want to have my usual wall socket telephone service, VOIP, and use my normal cordless handsets at the same time.

Now here's the question:

For $145 at MediaPro (cheapest in SLS already), is it worth getting?

Because I'm very badly poisoned now and will be getting it next week if nobody can say anything against getting it.

Need SIP+pfingoTALK for IDD calls (mum's relatives in Malaysia), but my mum is a technophobe. Free Singapore outgoing and free international incoming calls is too tempting also.

Infinite Monkey @ ViewQwest

Nikon FM2n ∙ Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-s ∙ Fujichrome Provia 400X
sg.png
opt1m4l
United Nations

Trade rep: 5 (100%)
opt1m4l Apr 27th, 07, 05:53 PM #2
only free till Aug maybe? Reconsider lor...
sg.png
&d00
ndoo

&d00 Apr 27th, 07, 05:59 PM #3
really? where are the specifics about the trial? even so the rates are extremely reasonable...

sg.png
FoxTwo
Clanless and guildless

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
FoxTwo Apr 27th, 07, 08:34 PM #4
Wah good lobang! I was thinking of looking for something like this, cos I got some creds in a SIP-based VOIP service too... (http://www.gizmoproject.com)... this will be a good thing to have for me!

sg.png
&d00
ndoo

&d00 Apr 27th, 07, 10:00 PM #5
ya lor it's so useful. i wonder if it's a worthwhile investment. if not i'm buying an ASUS WL500G premium for a download, nas and webserver zombie. dilemma.
no.png
&d00
ndoo

&d00 Apr 27th, 07, 10:20 PM #6
i think XLVoice is cheaper than gizmoproject.

pfingo's future pricing should be equally competitive.

sg.png
&d00
ndoo

&d00 Apr 28th, 07, 09:25 PM #7
or should i get this: http://www.smc-asia.com/v2/index.php...438&Itemid=140

it is a wireless client/router VOIP adaptor, meaning i can attach it to any phone in the house and do VOIP via wireless, and still be able to use POTS.

$135. amazing.

but the SPA3102 has more advanced features, which i frankly don't need.

sg.png
FoxTwo
Clanless and guildless

FoxTwo Apr 29th, 07, 03:17 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by &d00
i think XLVoice is cheaper than gizmoproject.

pfingo's future pricing should be equally competitive.
Well since I already have credits with Gizmo Project, don' think I'll "switch" until credits run out...

Anyway calling overseas for 2 cents a minute (on average) is already pretty dang cheap already... Imagine talking to your friend in USA for 2 hours and only pay US$2.40 (about S$3.84). 2 hours for less than 4 dollars....

sg.png
&d00
ndoo

&d00 Apr 30th, 07, 12:49 PM #9
hmm i still think pfingo's future pricing will beat XLVoice and other VOIP solutions from Singapore's point of view.

since starhub is already backed by their other businesses and anyway nobody will be stupid enough to charge more than a competitor.

sg.png
Nexus
High Priestress Rithina

Trade rep: 31 (100%)
Nexus Apr 30th, 07, 01:03 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxTwo
Well since I already have credits with Gizmo Project, don' think I'll "switch" until credits run out...

Anyway calling overseas for 2 cents a minute (on average) is already pretty dang cheap already... Imagine talking to your friend in USA for 2 hours and only pay US$2.40 (about S$3.84). 2 hours for less than 4 dollars....
hmm i can't seems to find they have numbers for call in for singapore.. u just buy the call out credit?
sg.png
FoxTwo
Clanless and guildless

FoxTwo Apr 30th, 07, 03:50 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
hmm i can't seems to find they have numbers for call in for singapore.. u just buy the call out credit?
Yah I don't have a Singapore-based call-in number, but I got their Area Code 775 one, based in USA (Nevada state if I'm not wrong). That's for my US friends who might wanna call me but dun wanna pay Long Distance charges.

Anyway I still remember the old days where you pay like $50.00 for just 25 mins call to Australia.... shiong manz! That time I was just in army, my gf was in Aus... piang eh.. talking once a week, and only 25 mins max, have to buy phone card some more... and find a public phone....

(Can't call from home, if dad finds out phone bill is a few hundred dollars will kill me heheh!)

sg.png
michael chua

Trade rep: 8 (100%)
michael chua Apr 30th, 07, 04:10 PM #12
Hi Guys, I wanted to make calls to the phillippines but got no idea how to do it the cheap way.. ? The last time I accumulated abt $1500 worth of calls to the phillippines and I only found out when the bill comes. Dammed telok man...
sg.png
FoxTwo
Clanless and guildless

FoxTwo Apr 30th, 07, 05:30 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael chua
Hi Guys, I wanted to make calls to the phillippines but got no idea how to do it the cheap way.. ? The last time I accumulated abt $1500 worth of calls to the phillippines and I only found out when the bill comes. Dammed telok man...
Well as you can see, in this thread alone we have named a number of VOIP services. Feel free to check out the respective websites and see if the rates are good for you.

Skype for example, is also another VOIP provider. Check them out too.

You will definitely not need to pay $1.5K a month using a VOIP provider.... well, not unless you talk 24 hours a day for a whole month... heheheh..

Even then I dun think you can even rack up 1.5K in calls... only 1440 mins in a day, only 43,200 mins in a month. Each min is only 2 cents, so your total costs is US$864.00 that month, which translates to S$1,382.40...

See? not even 1.5K

sg.png
Nexus
High Priestress Rithina

Trade rep: 31 (100%)
Nexus Apr 30th, 07, 05:34 PM #14
i went to ask nexus tel the other day... i bought specially a VOIP router that is not locked to any ISP... but when i want to sub their service.. they ask me to bring my router so they can locked it to use their service..and on top of that... i need to PAY THEM 100 DOLLAR for it and also have to pay them charges again if i decide not to use it!!.......immediately i decide to look out for alternative provider.
sg.png
FoxTwo
Clanless and guildless

FoxTwo Apr 30th, 07, 07:58 PM #15
Nexus - hahaha well that's how immature VOIP services in Singapore still is - still want to "bind" you to their service and impose all these kind of charges.

If you buy creds (or any other services) from those more established providers in the USA, they don't lock you in. You are free to do whatever you want to your router. They of course, only provide tech support on the routers they recommend but they won't lock you into any specific models. They even have knowledgebase entries on some models, as examples, so you can configure your own if you know what you're doing.

That's why I say, the lobang that &d00 found is good for me

sg.png
Linear Mode Linear Mode