Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
PhiBer

Trade rep: 92 (96%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
How good is DGL-4300 or DIR-655 vs DGL-4100? PhiBer Aug 10th, 07, 04:12 PM #1

I've had a chance to play with a DGL-4100 for a week..
Bought it off the forums from another VRZer...

As it's a wired-only GB router, no issues about wireless here..

Here's a little problem or shall i say limitation i encountered with the latest f/w i got off Dlink's website for the DGL-4100

I'm a very heavy torrent/direct download user.. Hardcore if u might put it...

My uTorrent is a hacked client that does not really obey the law of BT..
In short, it's hacked to do more of leeching that regular BTing..

My settings for uTorrent is crazy, nonetheless, connections per torrent is set at 500, max connections is set at 2048.

When i do HTTP download via DL manager, same thing..
i open 10 - 20 TCP connections per file and i can d/l 5 to 10 files at 1 go..

My MOL Premium (12mbps) is possibly maxed out at 900+ KB/s (i tink SH capped it)..

So when i go on a downloading spree, BT + HTTP download, my network will sort of freeze..
When i try to load a IE page, it will NOT load at all, it will just show waiting for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for a very long time...
But the downloads will still continue.. And when my sis is WoWing, her connection will slow to near freeze also..

When i stop the BT, and just do HTTP (port 80) downloads (3 files, at 10 connections per file) and at max speed (set to no limit in Flashget)..
Same thing, i can't even load VRForums in IE!!
Flashget shows 700+kb/s in download bandwidth..

Once i stop the HTTP downloads, everything resumes normally after a few secs..
QoS/Gamefuel was not enabled at this time.

After this, i sold away the DGL-4100 and went back to a DD-WRT 2.4 Linksys WRT45G v2.2..
Doing the same thing, HTTP DL + BT, my IE does not freeze, everything is ok..

Only problem is that on my sis PC, it's abit laggy when i do massing downloading..
But the lag was not as bad as on the DGL-4100 when i mass download..
We're all using wired and not wireless here. as my house has direct Cat 5es running to every room from my room where i put the router..

Since then, i have been wondering if the DGL-4300 will end up the same as the DGL-4100 if i torture it with my kind of usage?

How about the DIR-655?? Will it exhibit such a behaviour at heavy loads?
Kinda apprehensive to throw $260 for it and then realise it performs worst than a $60 WRT54G running DD-WRT..

At least that's what i encountered for the DGL-4100...

Have not been able to find much technical specs on the Dlink routers..
ie, SoC clock Speed, on-board ram/flash, etc..

Well, the Linksys wrt54g was on loan from a friend, i have to return it next week..
So i went to buy a Buffalo WHR-G54S for $79 just now and loaded it with Tomato..
Will do a stress-test next week or so when i have the time and report on how it fars vs the WRT54G..

Freelance C#/VB/Java/C++/.Net/etc Progamming Services!

sg.png
Last edited by PhiBer; Aug 10th, 07 at 04:19 PM..
danxiaogui86
胆小鬼

Trade rep: 32 (100%)
danxiaogui86 Aug 10th, 07, 10:34 PM #2
If u want i can sell u my brand new 655. reason cuz i got problem connecting with 2200bg. dun worry. it sole 2200bg problem. the router is solid.
Dan Xiao Gui Rig:
| Intel® Core™ i7-4770K w/ EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ - Nickel Plexi | Asus Maximus VI Formula LGA 1150 Intel Z87 | Asus AMD Radeon™ R9 290X 4GB w/ EK-FC R9-290X - Nickel Plexi | GSkill Ripjaws-X F3-12800CL7D 16GB | Dell U2413 x 2 | Intel® SSD 530 240GB x 2 Raid 0 | LG GH24NS50 | Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | Corsair AX860i 860W | Auzentech HomeTheater HD w/ Audioengine 5+ | Windows 8.1 Professional 64-Bit |

Dan Xiao Gui Gadgets:
| MyRepublic 1Gbps Ultra on Asus RT-AC87U & Asus PCE-AC68 | Majestouch N-key rollover w/ Ducky Leather Wrist Rest + Logitech M950 | Apple iPhone 5S 32GB w/ ERA Jawbone | Synology DS713+ w/ 2 x 3TB Western Digital Red

sg.png
xrM
\//\\/\//\

Trade rep: 8 (100%)
xrM Aug 11th, 07, 11:49 AM #3
Your max connections is at 2048, but what is your average actual connections?(under Help > #Connections) My DI634M, which is using the same ubicom processor as the gaming series, usually can handle up to 1500 connections before getting 404s surfing the web.

As for flashget, I don't use it, I use DA plus and IDM instead, usually download from a http server around 3-5 files with 16 max connections at 1.0-2.0mBps in total, still can surf the net, response a bit slower thats all.

Maybe someone else who has used both the 4100 and 4300 can comment on whether the performance on these two routers are the same..should be the same. Could be your router got problem.
Intel C2Q Q9550 ’ MSI P35 Neo2-Fr ’ Sapphire HD6950 ’ Crucial M4
sg.png
Last edited by xrM; Aug 11th, 07 at 11:51 AM..
TheTrap
私は黒髪ロリかな. ...

Trade rep: 82 (99%)
TheTrap Aug 11th, 07, 01:38 PM #4
just curious , is it because of people who use hacked torrents like you that the torrents are slower ?
sg.png
hwmook
Mister

Trade rep: 268 (100%)
hwmook Aug 11th, 07, 02:06 PM #5
Got QoS and you don't want to enable it then come here and tell us DGL-4100 got problems. The DD-WRT firmware probably got different settings which allow all kind of traffic while the DGL-4100 default settings is different. Set the QoS and if it doesn't work well then come here and complain again. We can't help you if you can't even be bother to go into the settings and change a few settings. I just can't understand why people just don't want to use the QoS which is suppose to solve such issues in the first place.
sg.png
hwmook
Mister

Trade rep: 268 (100%)
hwmook Aug 11th, 07, 02:06 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTimX
just curious , is it because of people who use hacked torrents like you that the torrents are slower ?
YES, such people should be banned from using torrents.
sg.png
PhiBer

PhiBer Aug 11th, 07, 03:39 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwmook
Got QoS and you don't want to enable it then come here and tell us DGL-4100 got problems. The DD-WRT firmware probably got different settings which allow all kind of traffic while the DGL-4100 default settings is different. Set the QoS and if it doesn't work well then come here and complain again. We can't help you if you can't even be bother to go into the settings and change a few settings. I just can't understand why people just don't want to use the QoS which is suppose to solve such issues in the first place.
Enabling QoS? It gets worst with QoS.. What for?
The router bottlenecks HTTP even faster with QoS enabled.
I've tried QoS on the DGL-4100 already, it doesn't solve anything, but makes matters worst..
If i enabled port 80 QoS for surfing, my direct downloads on port 80 via flashget will get prioritised also..
BT and Gaming will crawl to a standstill when i just download 3 files with 10 conns each at total 700kb/s..

If i disable all QoS EXCEPT gaming ports (WoW and DOTA), they work well, giving me good latency..
but once i start mass downloading, it's like no QoS at all.. WoW lags out even..

"The DD-WRT firmware probably got different settings which allow all kind of traffic while the DGL-4100 default settings is different."

Seems like you don't even know what you are talking about here.. What default settings?
Do u even know what is the role of a router? And what? DGL-4100 dun allow all kind of traffic at default setting, is that wat u trying to say?
On both firmware, without any special settings or need for QoS, in my setup, it appears that the WRT54G with DD-WRT is better and handling massive connections with high bandwidth load..

I've had a SMC 7004ABR, 4-port wired no-fuss router.. Never had such an issue with max connections and bottling out!!
QoS is just an overrated service which helps to prioritise certain traffic in a congested network..
In my case, i dun need to prioritise anything, but just need the router to handle high connections at high bandwidth loads..

XRM,

U're probably right, my torrents all have a few hundred connections each when connected..
Plus the high-speed of the torrents, it's the router bottling out..
But the worst is, it bottles out even w/o BT, just a few HTTP downloads at 10 - 20 conns each!
sg.png
Last edited by PhiBer; Aug 11th, 07 at 03:47 PM..
PhiBer

PhiBer Aug 11th, 07, 03:49 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTimX
Not entirely true.. that's not how the BT protocol works..
Your d/l speed is dependant on many factors in a P2P enironment..
My client just allows me to get the file faster and shifts me up the connection queue..
sg.png
liangtam
Oly! Oly!

Trade rep: 6 (100%)
liangtam Aug 11th, 07, 09:49 PM #9
For DGL4100/4300, there is a priority selection from 1 - 255. If you want to priortise HTTP traffic and gaming, simply set both up higher in the rank, and for P2P lower down, e.g. 255. Verification can be done by Status --> Active session.
Of course, it is quite impossible to maintain a smooth connection for gaming and HTTP traffic, while still want to maintain excellent P2P speed all at the same time.
DGL4x00 is based on IP3023

But it does not really matter anymore as u sold it...
sg.png
gratelemming
I do all my own stunts

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
gratelemming Aug 12th, 07, 02:04 AM #10
Slamming QoS when it doesn't work in your case probably isn't such a rational thing to do, which is why you're getting hostile replies. Saying something like D-Link's implementation doesn't work properly is more reasonable.

I can personally testify that a properly set up QoS system works, especially with the ability to differentiate bulk from web traffic in Tomato based on size. If your port 80 download exceeds 64KB, it can bump the priority down automatically.

I'm curious about how you managed to hack uTorrent, especially since its a closed source client. You can PM me with details if you don't want to post it in this thread...
sg.png
PhiBer

PhiBer Aug 12th, 07, 02:58 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratelemming
Slamming QoS when it doesn't work in your case probably isn't such a rational thing to do, which is why you're getting hostile replies. Saying something like D-Link's implementation doesn't work properly is more reasonable.

I can personally testify that a properly set up QoS system works, especially with the ability to differentiate bulk from web traffic in Tomato based on size. If your port 80 download exceeds 64KB, it can bump the priority down automatically.

I'm curious about how you managed to hack uTorrent, especially since its a closed source client. You can PM me with details if you don't want to post it in this thread...
Nope, i did not slam QoS.. maybe you should read the post carefully..
I have never slammed any implementations or brands here..
Alot of self-centered ppl in the forums everywhere who uphold their own views and support their own brands and i respect that..

I'm just saying the Dlink bottles up on me faster than the WRT45G on DD-WRT does.. that's all..
i'm just citing my experience here while i was trying out the router..

Ah.. the Ubicom IP3000 series.. that's what i was looking for, thanks!
The linksys wrt54g is on broadcom 4712, whereas the buffalo whr-g54s is on Broadcom 5352..
We'll see how the buffalo fare for extreme downloading when i get home tml.. lol..

The DIR-655 is based on the Ubicom 5000 streamengine series.
On paper, it seems like an excellent multi-functional multimedia processor..
onboard flash is 4mb and ram is 16mb (sadly thought) but i think it shld not affect performance much..

I wanted to try the Buffalo WZR series.. with 8MB Flash and 64MB ram.. but it's not sold in SG..

Well, perhaps i can consider a DIR-655 to try out if the buffalo doesn't cut it..
sg.png
TheTrap
私は黒髪ロリかな. ...

TheTrap Aug 12th, 07, 10:17 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiBer
Not entirely true.. that's not how the BT protocol works..
Your d/l speed is dependant on many factors in a P2P enironment..
My client just allows me to get the file faster and shifts me up the connection queue..
hmm but if you get it faster , won't other people get it slower ?

IMHO , kinda unfair for people like me who play by the rules >.<
sg.png
TheTrap
私は黒髪ロリかな. ...

TheTrap Aug 12th, 07, 10:19 AM #13
oh btw , I still think my DIR-655 was MUCH better than my WRT54G...although I've done the QoS exactly as stated in this thread , it never works...
sg.png
gratelemming
I do all my own stunts

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
gratelemming Aug 12th, 07, 02:12 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiBer
Enabling QoS? It gets worst with QoS.. What for?
The router bottlenecks HTTP even faster with QoS enabled.
I've tried QoS on the DGL-4100 already, it doesn't solve anything, but makes matters worst..
QoS is just an overrated service which helps to prioritise certain traffic in a congested network.. In my case, i dun need to prioritise anything, but just need the router to handle high connections at high bandwidth loads..
You may have not meant it, but I have to say that that's a pretty flammy post. QoS does improve performance for stuff like DNS resolution and http requests while reducing the impact of bulk traffic, so it applies to any network big or small. The issue here is that D-Link probably had to make some compromises to keep it easy to use, which means that some stuff doesn't work as expected.

IMO RAM and flash ROM should not be a consideration unless you want to run a 3rd party firmware with lots of services or want to run BGP. AFAIK, Ubicom-based routers are completely proprietary, so considering stuff like that is moot.

Anyway good luck with your Buffalo+Tomato, I think after using it you probably won't want to upgrade to anything until 802.11n becomes a necessity, it really rocks.
sg.png
hangyong
BIG F*ck... &amp;amp;amp;amp; I mean BIG

Trade rep: 4 (100%)
hangyong Aug 12th, 07, 04:19 PM #15
never used the 4100, but it should be the same as the 4300 I have...

I have not encountered any problems you mentioned, although my data transfer will not be any less than yours, save the number of connections (which I think is absolutely not necessary, since you will never get connected with so many anyway).

IMPO, if you think DD-WRT works fine with the Linksys, use it.

By the way... if you are that concerned about speed... wanna get a CISCO? I have one for sale CISCO 1801... looking at $1200, but you have to go and get the WAN interface for connecting to MOL though.

I can slap you with another 128MB of RAM FOC to make it 256MB.

confirm no problem...
sg.png
Linear Mode Linear Mode