Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
Alaborg Registered User

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
How do wireless router and access point work? Alaborg Nov 30th, 11, 08:07 PM #1

Hi

I'm looking to extend my wireless range at home.

I wanted to setup my network as follow

Starhub cable modem ----> Dlink 855 wireless router (at Hall) ----->Aztech powerline HL115EP ---> HL115EP (Room) -----> Belkin playmax wireless router as accesspoint (Room)

Have 'A' PC and 1 dlink NAS connected to dlink 855 via wire connection.

Qns

I wanted to connect 'B' PC to connect to Belkin playmax router (Accesspoint mode) -----I do this is to reduce my other cable running problem and have the belkin router as extra.

Can 'B' PC still able to access the data from the NAS and from 'A' PC which is connected to the dlink 855?

If need further information. Can post and i will ans.

Thanks.

sg.png
deepblue_82 Registered User

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
deepblue_82 Dec 3rd, 11, 10:25 AM #2
i belive.. that.. if u add it all as a network.. or workgroup.. it should work..
sg.png
Dreamslacker
Bipolar Narcissistic

Trade rep: 6 (100%)
Dreamslacker Dec 3rd, 11, 11:51 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaborg View Post
Hi

I'm looking to extend my wireless range at home.

I wanted to setup my network as follow

Starhub cable modem ----> Dlink 855 wireless router (at Hall) ----->Aztech powerline HL115EP ---> HL115EP (Room) -----> Belkin playmax wireless router as accesspoint (Room)

Have 'A' PC and 1 dlink NAS connected to dlink 855 via wire connection.

Qns

I wanted to connect 'B' PC to connect to Belkin playmax router (Accesspoint mode) -----I do this is to reduce my other cable running problem and have the belkin router as extra.

Can 'B' PC still able to access the data from the NAS and from 'A' PC which is connected to the dlink 855?

If need further information. Can post and i will ans.

Thanks.
Yes, you can.
What you need to do:
DLink LAN port -> Powerline adapter (Hall) <--> Powerline adapter <--> Lan Port of Belkin

You should first connect the PC you're using to configure the Belkin directly for configuring the settings. You should not plug in the Belkin into the Homeplug until all the necessary settings are configured.

There are a few things you need to take note of:

1) Both routers need to be on the same subnet. So if the DIR-855 is using 192.168.0.X then the Belkin must also be using 192.168.0.X on it's LAN side.

2) Both routers should have unique IP addresses within the same subnet. i.e. if the Dlink is using 192.168.0.1, then the Belkin must use any other IP address (192.168.0.X) other than that.
AND the IP addresses for both the Belkin and Dlink must not be within the DHCP server range (see next point).

3) Only the Dlink should have the DHCP server enabled; all static IP clients must be configured with the Dlink as their gateway and DNS server (Optional if you have other DNS servers you want to use). DHCP MUST be disabled on the Belkin. Since the Belkin is not routing, the firewall can be disabled.

4) If you want to have the same SSID for both routers then they must be configured to use different wireless radio channels. This allows clients to need only 1 SSID/ PWD pair and be able to connect to both wifi routers.
If changing the wireless channels is not possible for the Belkin, then you must use a different SSID for the Belkin and clients must be configured to have both SSID/ PWD pairs.
An Idle Mind Walks in Dark Places
sg.png
New Thread | ↑↓ Similar Threads