Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
Dr_ARCHer
Family man

Trade rep: 7 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Linksys WRE54G Dr_ARCHer Dec 26th, 07, 02:49 PM #1

Just bought a new Linksys WRE54G from Fuwell. Knowing about Linksys's tendency to roll out different versions for the same product (I bought the WRT54GX Version 1.0, which differs from the Version 2.0... firmware is also different), I chose one whose serial number was the highest, thinking that this must be the latest version.

Come back, I opened up, and was surprised to find it as Version 2.0. Version 3.0 seems to have been out for a few months already, yet Version 2.0 are still being sold. The thing is, from the outside of the box, you have no way of knowing if it is Version 1, 2 or 3. You need to open up and look at the label on the underside of the device.

From the looks of things, the WRE54G isn't moving too well, since the Version 3 has been out for a while now, and yet, Version 2 are still on the shelves. There was one box where the serial number was older. If I have picked that one up, I might have end up with a Version 1 instead, and Version sucks because it doesn't have an ethernet port for you to confiture the device.

sg.png
PhiBer

Trade rep: 88 (96%)
PhiBer Dec 27th, 07, 12:35 AM #2
I have one and it refuses to work with my dlink-655.. KNN.. useless..

their wireless print server also.. keep dropping.. have to rma soon..
sg.png
Dr_ARCHer
Family man

Dr_ARCHer Dec 27th, 07, 09:12 AM #3
How did you do the config of the WRE54G? There seems some posts saying that the Linksys installation instructions are wrong. I have the DIR-655 too, and yesterday, I tried to do a set-up but couldn't get the WRE54G to sync with the DIR-655 i.e. the LED light is still red. I must admit I didnt spend too much time on it. My DIR-655 has WPA/WPA2 enabled, and maybe this is why.
sg.png
PhiBer

PhiBer Dec 27th, 07, 09:57 AM #4
I try 1 whole day.. give up liao.. it never worked!!
I using WEP.. if u are using WPA, worst.. hahaha..

Interestingly, it worked quite well with WRT54G on DDWRT.. but on DIR-655.. like dun work.. dunno why..

Suspect they do MAC Filtering, not Linksys MAC, don't connect?
Maybe u can try changing ur DIR-655 MAC to Linksys MAC and try? worth a shot! hehe..
sg.png
Dr_ARCHer
Family man

Dr_ARCHer Dec 27th, 07, 10:36 AM #5
Hmmm.... I have 3 wireless router in used (more if you count those not in used ): DIR-655, Linksys WRT54GX and Netgear. I hope it will work on at least one of the router.

Is your Version 2 or Version 1? Version 1 does not have an ethernet port, so makes configuring it even harder.

If I can get it to work, maybe you can sell me your WRE54G?
sg.png
PhiBer

PhiBer Dec 27th, 07, 06:32 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_ARCHer View Post
Hmmm.... I have 3 wireless router in used (more if you count those not in used ): DIR-655, Linksys WRT54GX and Netgear. I hope it will work on at least one of the router.

Is your Version 2 or Version 1? Version 1 does not have an ethernet port, so makes configuring it even harder.

If I can get it to work, maybe you can sell me your WRE54G?
It's my company set..
sg.png
Jason-K Registered User

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
Jason-K Dec 30th, 07, 08:37 PM #7
I bought a unit, version 2. Tried various options to configure with 2Wire, including updating firmware. Firmeware in Singapore site, is only version 1. Used UK site to update. No go at all. call up Linksys support, was told that it may not be compatible with non Linksys router. At the end, return set to shop after wasting many hours tryng to get the set working.
sg.png
Dr_ARCHer
Family man

Dr_ARCHer Dec 31st, 07, 07:56 AM #8
Well, I am happy to say that the WRE54G appears to work with both my Netgear router and my Dlink DIR-655. Like what most advice on the Internet says, the manual and software is useless. You don't need to use either to configure. Here is what I did with mine

a) Set your wireless router to no encrption first.
b) Using the ethernet port, connect to the router.
c) After you turn on, you may get a red Link light. Press the Auto Config button for about 5 seconds, and then let go. The Link light will then blink a few times before becoming Blue, indicating connection to the wireless.
d) Now this is the tricky part. Turn of your wireless and connect your PC directly to the WRE54G. Make sure your PC is on the same address segment as the WRE54G. By default, the WRE54G is 192.168.1.240, with subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
e) Login to the WRE54G and then proceed to set/change the options. I was able to change to WPA.
f) Re-enable the encryption on your wireless router. Now, you can place the WRE54G at the desired spot in your house.

For my own DIR-655, I got a 93% signal from my PS3 when I have the WRE54G, versus about 10-20% signal without. I couldn't get the PS3 to work because the UPNP was enabled on DIR-655. I had turned it off previously and it worked, but in the firmware upgrade, somehow this was turned back on, or I reloaded an old config file with the UPNP turned on.

Now, the WRE54G is working fine with my Netgear router at my brother's house. I will buy another one for my own DIR-655.
sg.png
Dr_ARCHer
Family man

Dr_ARCHer Dec 31st, 07, 07:57 AM #9
Oh... forgot to mention. The firmware for the WRE54G is newer than the one posted on the global website of Linsksy. So I didn't bother to upgrade the firmware.
sg.png
Linear Mode Linear Mode