Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
Crush18D
Crush18D's Avatar
4 Core 8 Threads


Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 144
Trade rep: 6 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Gigabit routers with good WAN to LAN throughput Crush18D Dec 6th, 09, 10:39 PM #1

Hi all bros,

Currently on my old WRT54G but recently signed up M1 100mbps. Found out the WAN to LAN is limited at 20mbps.

Need a few recommendations on gigabit routers with good WAN to LAN throughput. Googled and found a few. Any bros using?

1) Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (WNDR3700) 408.9
2) D-Link Xtreme N Duo Media Router (DIR-855 (A1)) 331.7
3) D-Link Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router (DIR-825 (A1)) 305.1
4) D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router (DIR-655 [A4]) 257.3
5) D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) 231.0

Please give me advice so i can go get one.
Thanks!


sg.png
Last edited by Crush18D; Dec 6th, 09 at 10:43 PM..
Dreamslacker
Dreamslacker's Avatar
Bipolar Narcissistic


Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In an idle mind
Posts: 7,655
Trade rep: 6 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Dreamslacker Dec 6th, 09, 10:50 PM #2
DIR-825 will suffice. If you don't need Wireless-N, even the DGL-4500 is fast enough for WAN-LAN throughput. Just don't count on the routers holding up under massive connection floods from insane torrenting.
An Idle Mind Walks in Dark Places
sg.png
lennardseah
lennardseah's Avatar
Aperture Science


Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 13,838
Trade rep: 17 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
lennardseah Dec 7th, 09, 01:16 AM #3
flash to this (improve to 30-40s mbps) -
Tourist In Paradise: Linksys WRT54GL Routers: Improving Performance
sg.png
Crush18D
Crush18D's Avatar
4 Core 8 Threads


Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 144
Trade rep: 6 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Crush18D Dec 7th, 09, 07:18 PM #4
Looks good with that firmware.

Will try it out. Now still on DD-WRT.
If still don't meet expectations. Maybe its time for a new router
sg.png
bongholio
bongholio's Avatar
SysAdm


Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,545
Trade rep: 41 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
bongholio Dec 7th, 09, 07:53 PM #5
i have the wndr3700. its really very fast and the signal is stronger too than my old wnr834b. have not found any issues yet except for the price. got it for 299 at sitex...
us.png
LordAlfa
LordAlfa's Avatar
All skrood up


Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Posts: 3,733
Trade rep: 90 (99%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
LordAlfa Dec 8th, 09, 02:39 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamslacker View Post
DIR-825 will suffice. If you don't need Wireless-N, even the DGL-4500 is fast enough for WAN-LAN throughput. Just don't count on the routers holding up under massive connection floods from insane torrenting.
Unless it is a P3 with 512MB RAM running pfSense or Smoothwall with 2x Gigabit cards and 1 Atheros 26dBm card with Master Mode. What load?
sg.png
Last edited by LordAlfa; Dec 8th, 09 at 02:42 AM..
Dreamslacker
Dreamslacker's Avatar
Bipolar Narcissistic


Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In an idle mind
Posts: 7,655
Trade rep: 6 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Dreamslacker Dec 8th, 09, 11:13 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAlfa View Post
Unless it is a P3 with 512MB RAM running pfSense or Smoothwall with 2x Gigabit cards and 1 Atheros 26dBm card with Master Mode. What load?
No need for gigabit cards but quality nics are a must when parsing that kind of conn/ sec. I find that the Realtek GBe NICs tend to freeze up under long term heavy loads.
An Idle Mind Walks in Dark Places
sg.png
LordAlfa
LordAlfa's Avatar
All skrood up


Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Posts: 3,733
Trade rep: 90 (99%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
LordAlfa Dec 8th, 09, 12:47 PM #8
I just got myself a 2 units of Cisco Content Engine Series 500. 2x Broadcom Gigabit. 2.4 Celeron replaced with 2.0 P4. 4GB DDR 400 ECCR, 2x 40GB IDE and Gmirror.

The Broadcom are onboard. When they boot up, BIOS shows IBM. LOL. Comes with CDROM. can add any app I want.

I find in terms of NICs, performance order is still, Intel, Broadcom, Marvell, 3Com, lastly Realtek.

Not true for the 10/100 for WAN/LAN, on MOL Ultimate, Gigabit NICs for both LAN and WAN does affect the thruput.
sg.png
p|sangp|sang
p|sangp|sang's Avatar
U mean Questionable Crap?


Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MBR:Sector:63, ADDR:01388b3b
Posts: 44,521
Trade rep: 27 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
p|sangp|sang Dec 8th, 09, 07:03 PM #9
my pfsense is still running in a nokia IP330, AMD K6-2 anyone? I could use VM but hey wat are the chances of that happening
sg.png
Dreamslacker
Dreamslacker's Avatar
Bipolar Narcissistic


Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In an idle mind
Posts: 7,655
Trade rep: 6 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Dreamslacker Dec 8th, 09, 11:44 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAlfa View Post

I find in terms of NICs, performance order is still, Intel, Broadcom, Marvell, 3Com, lastly Realtek.

Not true for the 10/100 for WAN/LAN, on MOL Ultimate, Gigabit NICs for both LAN and WAN does affect the thruput.
Concur on the NICs.
I reckon the NIC speed for Mol.U depends on whether you can even get close to the rated speed in the first place. LOL... Considering that suckhub throttles my 8m line to 3m between 6:30pm and 2am... I'm not entirely confident that the NIC link speed even matters for me these days.
A good PCI-e fast eth. NIC would get close enough to 100Mb/s. Was looking more at the conn/sec speed though.
The realtek nics tend to generate crazy interrupts during heavy loading.
An Idle Mind Walks in Dark Places
sg.png
LordAlfa
LordAlfa's Avatar
All skrood up


Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Posts: 3,733
Trade rep: 90 (99%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
LordAlfa Dec 20th, 09, 12:18 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamslacker View Post
Concur on the NICs.
I reckon the NIC speed for Mol.U depends on whether you can even get close to the rated speed in the first place. LOL... Considering that suckhub throttles my 8m line to 3m between 6:30pm and 2am... I'm not entirely confident that the NIC link speed even matters for me these days.
A good PCI-e fast eth. NIC would get close enough to 100Mb/s. Was looking more at the conn/sec speed though.
The realtek nics tend to generate crazy interrupts during heavy loading.
I tried Speedtest.com Somehow the 10/100 NICs lose out on Ultimate. 30Mbps. On the 10/100/1000 I can get up to 80Mbps maxed.

Still trying to solve the pfSense Asterisk forwarding. I get 5060 rings but no voice transport on RTP 10,000 to 20,000 UDP.
sg.png
Dreamslacker
Dreamslacker's Avatar
Bipolar Narcissistic


Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In an idle mind
Posts: 7,655
Trade rep: 6 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Dreamslacker Dec 20th, 09, 10:09 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAlfa View Post
I tried Speedtest.com Somehow the 10/100 NICs lose out on Ultimate. 30Mbps. On the 10/100/1000 I can get up to 80Mbps maxed.

Still trying to solve the pfSense Asterisk forwarding. I get 5060 rings but no voice transport on RTP 10,000 to 20,000 UDP.
Oddball issue... The other users who encountered the same problem solved it by doing a Manual Advanced Outbound NAT on 5060.
An Idle Mind Walks in Dark Places
sg.png
New Thread | ↑↓ Similar Threads
Similar Threads Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
alexlau Singapore Marketplace / Garage Sales 16 Jun 11th, 09
09:16 AM
BLOODY-D News around the web! 5 Jan 18th, 09
12:49 AM
ProjectMayhem Networking & Broadband 15 May 14th, 08
12:37 AM
&d00 Networking & Broadband 335 Mar 23rd, 08
02:20 PM
Thread Tools Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode