Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
Questor Registered User

Trade rep: 1 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Questor Mar 1st, 12, 10:23 PM #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectile View Post
I bet you guys never experience DIY or attend DIY event.

Your perspective will change.
I have actually. It's an eye opener and informative, lets you think about all the things you can do to get better sound without a lot more cost - certainly a lot less than what brands are charging for.

Unfortunately I still go for service and assurance. If I were to start being a DIYer myself, that's be different..
sg.png
piezog Registered User

Trade rep: 2 (100%)
piezog Mar 1st, 12, 11:04 PM #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
I agree with your analogy on cars as that's my belief too, but cables aren't about 'zenging' your audio. But if you haven't had the experience, that's fine. Just hope you keep an open mind.

I have no idea why you raised the COE issue, but guess you must be a car owner and moderate audio player. Since you mention it, I beg to differ. For instance if I set aside a modest 4x5m area for audio, that's 215 sq ft.. if it's $700 per sq ft (low in today's standards), that's $150k.

Some of us would have sound systems worth more than a car as well, but you probably won't understand.

So you own a $20k setup, and have tried high end cables that have no effect? Just wondering what have you tried.
What I mean is, more people will spend on cars than sound equipment. The privilege of buying a car (and not the car itself) is already worth more than what many will spend on an entire HT system, including room treatment etc. Surely equipment one can enjoy is more valuable than a piece of paper in hand, isn't it?

Not that real estate is cheap, but homes are necessities, roofs we all sleep under, everyday. What one chooses to do with the space though, is arbitrary. If the argument holds, my $100 Ikea table costs me a bundle, psf speaking. Doesn't justify buying a gilded gold solid oak President's table to replace it, because it is occupying valuable floor area, does it?

I've heard quite a few setups, from the very expensive, to budget, in various homes, including a specially constructed basement that was professionally treated and tuned. To my mind, it's more worthwhile spending money on expertise and room acoustics, after clean power.

My own sound system, including headphones? Under 10k. I've heard better, but I'm really enjoying it.

And no, I don't own a car. Soon to be ex-bike owner though.
sg.png
Last edited by piezog; Mar 1st, 12 at 11:06 PM..
ghemml
The Moody Cat

Trade rep: 34 (100%)
ghemml Mar 1st, 12, 11:19 PM #63
Quote:
I have actually. It's an eye opener and informative, lets you think about all the things you can do to get better sound without a lot more cost - certainly a lot less than what brands are charging for.

Unfortunately I still go for service and assurance. If I were to start being a DIYer myself, that's be different..
Martin Amp also consider DIY, but her amp can last so long and seldom break down. Just need to look for the right person to do it.
sg.png
Questor Registered User

Questor Mar 2nd, 12, 07:39 AM #64
Quote:
Originally Posted by piezog View Post
What I mean is, more people will spend on cars than sound equipment. The privilege of buying a car (and not the car itself) is already worth more than what many will spend on an entire HT system, including room treatment etc. Surely equipment one can enjoy is more valuable than a piece of paper in hand, isn't it?

Not that real estate is cheap, but homes are necessities, roofs we all sleep under, everyday. What one chooses to do with the space though, is arbitrary. If the argument holds, my $100 Ikea table costs me a bundle, psf speaking. Doesn't justify buying a gilded gold solid oak President's table to replace it, because it is occupying valuable floor area, does it?

I've heard quite a few setups, from the very expensive, to budget, in various homes, including a specially constructed basement that was professionally treated and tuned. To my mind, it's more worthwhile spending money on expertise and room acoustics, after clean power.

My own sound system, including headphones? Under 10k. I've heard better, but I'm really enjoying it.

And no, I don't own a car. Soon to be ex-bike owner though.
Sure, your home is a necessity but an audio room is not. That space could be better allocated for something else. Most of us who are serious in the hobby also tend to look out for the ideal layout so we can play hifi. Whether you decide to buy an expensive system is a separate matter.

I would agree room acoustics matter more, but it doesn't mean you need room treatment though.. anyway, separate topic. Like I said, cables are the last piece to me. It doesn't mean they are not important though.
sg.png
Questor Registered User

Questor Mar 2nd, 12, 07:42 AM #65
Quote:
Martin Amp also consider DIY, but her amp can last so long and seldom break down. Just need to look for the right person to do it.
I think you have a wide definition for 'DIY' then. There are lots of boutique manufacturers who build their equipment by hand.. are those all considered DIY too?

If so, most of us would be using DIY equipment anyway..
sg.png
ghemml
The Moody Cat

Trade rep: 34 (100%)
ghemml Mar 2nd, 12, 09:27 AM #66
Quote:
I think you have a wide definition for 'DIY' then. There are lots of boutique manufacturers who build their equipment by hand.. are those all considered DIY too?

If so, most of us would be using DIY equipment anyway..
The reason Mrs Vong's tube amp are considered DIY is because the assembling are all done by hand.

You boutique manufacturing still somehow depends on some machine for assmebling, like cnc cutting.

Thats why some people consider Martin's Amp looks crude.
sg.png
Questor Registered User

Questor Mar 2nd, 12, 10:35 AM #67
Quote:
The reason Mrs Vong's tube amp are considered DIY is because the assembling are all done by hand.

You boutique manufacturing still somehow depends on some machine for assmebling, like cnc cutting.

Thats why some people consider Martin's Amp looks crude.
Ok maybe you are the expert.. but sounds the same to me.

No matter how 'DIY', you still need to rely on someone to give you things like the metal casing or circuit board which you can't create by hand, right? So what's the difference if you sourced this part of the job internally or externally?

Brands like AR-T, Supratek and LFD look 'DIY' to me to be honest.. brands like redwineaudio are abit more refined but also look like they are in a similar category..
ap.png
wwenze
Newbie of Now and Forever

Trade rep: 23 (100%)
wwenze Mar 2nd, 12, 12:28 PM #68
DIY...

In terms of construction, do I need to dope my own transistor? Solder and drill? Or just need screwdriver?

In terms of design, do I need to prove the existence of a band gap, design a circuit out of 2 and 3-pin components, or just copy and paste a circuit then follow instructions on assembly?
sg.png
9VARZ
♥ Lightning ♥

Trade rep: 5 (100%)
9VARZ Mar 2nd, 12, 06:46 PM #69
The British have a saying that "...all the best things in the world came out of sheds".

That makes DIY a little hard to define, then...
Views expressed are my own.

WTS: Garage sales!! Pre-loved items sold for cheap!!

URGENT DOSE OF VITAMIN M REQUIRED.
Can you help?
gb.png
piezog Registered User

Trade rep: 2 (100%)
piezog Mar 3rd, 12, 01:37 PM #70
Badges of honor are overrated. The end result matter more to me than the process of getting there. It's a hobby, not religion.
sg.png
New Thread | ↑↓ Similar Threads