Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
tamjinhang
Hardware Manipulator

Trade rep: 71 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
tamjinhang Mar 5th, 12, 12:53 PM #16

I have dell U2312HM. Conversion used so far is displayport from the dell to mini dp. The wire I mentioned was a hdmi port to displayport on gfx card, so I guess it's different..
Need a specially built PC rig that gives the most performance for a given budget? Looking for the fastest and cheapest options to repair up or upgrade ur PC rig or laptop? Look no further!

T.A.M PC/Laptop Repair Shack!

sg.png
cubicu07 Registered User

Trade rep: 2 (100%)
cubicu07 Mar 5th, 12, 12:57 PM #17
Just gave the store a call. The manager was polite and helpful. I explained the situation to him and he offered to have the monitor returned and top up for the U2410. Gotta pay another $200+, but I guess that was the best outcome since I needed the new monitor anyway.

Either ways, will update the thread once I made the exchange tomorrow. Thanks for all the feedback, guys! =)
sg.png
Sock888 Registered User

Sock888 Mar 5th, 12, 01:44 PM #18
Yeah generally retailers do not exchange opened products unless defective, and only then for store credit.

This is partly the fault of local distributors, they will not accept returns from retailers for opened products unless they are defective, and lets face it, how many of you are fine with paying the full retail price for a previously opened/used product?

You do have a case though because they mis-sold you on the HDMI conversion, you should try being polite but firm with the shop you purchased the monitor from. HDMI to Displayport has known issues, and doesn't work 100% of the time, even with hardware all from the same manufacturer (e.g. Apple)
sg.png
Aiers81 Registered User

Trade rep: 10 (100%)
Aiers81 Mar 5th, 12, 07:36 PM #19
Go exchange. Btw ur monitor can get at 358 in Sls shop. I don't think u can sell at 400. Honest opinion cause I just bought one in Sls.
sg.png
Wearenotmonkey Registered User

Trade rep: 4 (100%)
Wearenotmonkey Mar 5th, 12, 07:45 PM #20
May I know which shop can get this for S$358? I'm considering also...
sg.png
cubicu07 Registered User

cubicu07 Mar 5th, 12, 08:02 PM #21
I only saw one shop in SLS selling Dell monitors. There was one that was selling for $358, but it was an old model, max resolution at 1920x1080 as compared to the U2412M, which has a max resolution of 1920x1200 and LED backlight.
sg.png
cubicu07 Registered User

cubicu07 Mar 5th, 12, 08:06 PM #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearenotmonkey View Post
Try waiting for IT Show next week for better deals? I only bought it now because my monitor died and I couldn't wait. =P
sg.png
oceanx2k Registered User

Trade rep: 31 (100%)
oceanx2k Mar 6th, 12, 12:27 AM #23
retailers policy means nothing when new law comes into force.

Consumer should have the right to check examine and test if the product indeed suit their needs, provided product is intact undamged and all accessories are returned in original conditions, retailers should honor a refund or exchange within 3-7 days. Good shops give 14-30 days for refund and exchange.

You will always have a case as long as you do the proper steps.

1. Ensure receipt is not lost
2. Ensure all contents r not lost
3. Ensure the goods is in original condition, warranty card untouched and online reg not done, box is not damaged.
4. If a shop refuses to exchange or refund, speak to their manager for a statement in writing that they have a policy that does not allow refund or exchange. If they don't give in writing, video record! Best bring along a friend to video record secretly :-)

In my opinion, the consumer does has the responsibility to make sure he is buying the product that suit his needs. However, as the retailer is earning money from the transaction, it makes sense in law terms that the buyer has rights to exchange or refund in the event that the goods did not suit their needs. This does not apply to goods that cannot return to originisl state after use or with health hygiene concerns, such as food, clothing, inner wears, sex toys, cosmetics, shoes.

Sorry for the long crap, just for ref for others with similar concern with refund and exchange within 3-7 days of purchase. All reputable retailers will say yes to exchange within 7 days. Almost none will reject on the same or next day of purchase, except bad stores, or if product is damaged.

Always confront the store with politeness and if things didn't go well, don't get angry don't get pissed in the store. Just tell them calmly for a written statement, and you will exercise your consumer rights.

Why this works in law? Because u did not sign nor agree to no exchange policy. Even if u did sign on the receipt, it means nothing unless they have told u about the no exchange or refund policy and they have specifically told u to read before you sign. If not, there's always a case to fight :-)

Law works both ways, not just for the rich retailers :-)
tw.png
Thanks to oceanx2k for this useful post! Mar 6th, 12, from maxdy
maxdy
Official BG/D_D hater

Trade rep: 24 (93%)
maxdy Mar 6th, 12, 12:37 AM #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanx2k View Post
retailers policy means nothing when new law comes into force.

Consumer should have the right to check examine and test if the product indeed suit their needs, provided product is intact undamged and all accessories are returned in original conditions, retailers should honor a refund or exchange within 3-7 days. Good shops give 14-30 days for refund and exchange.

You will always have a case as long as you do the proper steps.

1. Ensure receipt is not lost
2. Ensure all contents r not lost
3. Ensure the goods is in original condition, warranty card untouched and online reg not done, box is not damaged.
4. If a shop refuses to exchange or refund, speak to their manager for a statement in writing that they have a policy that does not allow refund or exchange. If they don't give in writing, video record! Best bring along a friend to video record secretly :-)

In my opinion, the consumer does has the responsibility to make sure he is buying the product that suit his needs. However, as the retailer is earning money from the transaction, it makes sense in law terms that the buyer has rights to exchange or refund in the event that the goods did not suit their needs. This does not apply to goods that cannot return to originisl state after use or with health hygiene concerns, such as food, clothing, inner wears, sex toys, cosmetics, shoes.

Sorry for the long crap, just for ref for others with similar concern with refund and exchange within 3-7 days of purchase. All reputable retailers will say yes to exchange within 7 days. Almost none will reject on the same or next day of purchase, except bad stores, or if product is damaged.

Always confront the store with politeness and if things didn't go well, don't get angry don't get pissed in the store. Just tell them calmly for a written statement, and you will exercise your consumer rights.

Why this works in law? Because u did not sign nor agree to no exchange policy. Even if u did sign on the receipt, it means nothing unless they have told u about the no exchange or refund policy and they have specifically told u to read before you sign. If not, there's always a case to fight :-)

Law works both ways, not just for the rich retailers :-)
true, but the wordings you used, i kind of feel that it carries some sort of an aggressive tone to it.

Gaming Rig:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 | DFI LanParty UT P35-T2R | Samsung DDR2-800 2GB x 4 | Nvidia GTX460 | Acbel 550W LCD | Pioneer Bluray/DVD+RW Combo | Hitachi 320GB SATA2 x3 RAID 0 | WD 500GB SATA2 | WD 640GB SATA2 | Seagate 750GB SATA2 |

Mobile Workstation:
HP Pavilion dv6-6004tx | Intel Core i7-2720QM | 6GB DDR3-1333MHz | AMD Radeon HD 6770M | Samsung 830 256GB | Toshiba 1TB SATA2 5400rpm | Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer |

Linux Rig:
Compaq Presario V2421AU | AMD Turion64 MT-34 | 1GB DDR-333Mhz | HP BroadCom Mini-PCI Wireless Card | Hitachi 80GB 5400rpm 2.5" IDE |

DeviantArt: http://maxdy.deviantart.com
sg.png
t258jgn
Live To Eat

Trade rep: 1055 (100%)
t258jgn Mar 6th, 12, 01:11 AM #25
For HDMI to DP you need StarTech.com HDMI2DP HDMI or DVI to DisplayPort Active Converter.
sg.png
Philip
Why Pay-And-Pay?

Trade rep: 39 (100%)
Philip Mar 6th, 12, 01:16 AM #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearenotmonkey View Post
Cybermind. I bought mine 1 week ago at $359

Phil

i7 4GHz ♦ Asus R2G ♦ OCZ Intel XMP ♦ Asus 5870 ♦ Crucial M4 ♦ Swiftech ♦ Koolance

x4 3.5GHz ♦ Biostar 890GXE ♦ OCZ AMD BE ♦ Asus 8800 ♦ WD Veloci ♦ Swiftech ♦ XSPC

Clearing watercooling and misc parts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
is ns really that hard???

sg.png
oceanx2k Registered User

Trade rep: 31 (100%)
oceanx2k Mar 6th, 12, 06:31 AM #27
Maxdy: think its just u lol =P
tw.png
Aiers81 Registered User

Trade rep: 10 (100%)
Aiers81 Mar 6th, 12, 09:45 AM #28
Ya Phil's right. Cybermind's price is the best at the moment. Dell control their price tightly. I doubt IT show they will drop price but since its so near might as well wait first.
sg.png
cubicu07 Registered User

cubicu07 Mar 6th, 12, 02:09 PM #29
Hey peepz, just returned from Funan. Got the monitor exchanged for a U2410. Thanks for all the feedback and advice. Closing the sales thread now. =)
sg.png
New Thread | ↑↓ Similar Threads