Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
newzhunter

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Nvidia disable chipset PCI prefetch on chipsets - performance suffers newzhunter Oct 31st, 08, 08:19 PM #1

It has come to our attention that Nvidia has ended up in more product trouble, although this time it's with regards to Nvidia's chipset division and it's not related to a manufacturing issue, but rather a law suit from OPTi Inc.

As the story goes, Nvidia has infringed a patent regarding to PCI prefetch that OPTi holds and although OPTi no longer makes PC chips, they now license intellectual property. The problem in this case is that Nvidia didn't come out on agreeable terms with OPTi and has to remove the PCI prefetch feature from its chipsets.

The problem with this is twofold. Firstly, it means that just about every single Nvidia chipset from the nForce 500-series and onwards is affected and as such, PCI prefetch has to be removed from all retail boards and every single BIOS upgrade that contains the PCI prefetch code has to be removed from the web. This also means that all Nvidia partners have to release BIOS updates for every single Nvidia motherboard from the nForce 500-series and onwards.

For the consumers, this means that they'll get very poor PCI performance, so if you're using any PCI cards in your Nvidia based motherboard, don't upgrade to the latest BIOS, as it will reduce the performance of the PCI bus. This isn't going to be popular with a lot of users out that that have already upgraded their BIOS, as this "feature" has already been implemented by some motherboard manufacturers going back a couple of months.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...10222&Itemid=1

sg.png
psolord

psolord Oct 31st, 08, 08:24 PM #2
.....and i was wondering what we will hear next! Well...there it is!

Now i am wondering..... WHAT THE HECK WILL WE HEAR NEXT?

That's why i never buy Ncrapia's chipsets!
gr.png
Megalord Registered User

Megalord Oct 31st, 08, 09:03 PM #3
I am surprised that NV didn't step up to pay the fees to preserve those things.
Hmmm... Judging from past 1 month experience, i am not surprised that NV would release a statement that nothing of this sort is happening.

But if its true... Seems like its trobuled times for NV. Bad things seems to chain together..
sg.png
t4ROKuN-

t4ROKuN- Oct 31st, 08, 09:41 PM #4
X58 chipset sales gonna skyrocket.

Why won't nVidia just save the trouble and pay, its not like they have a chance in this lawsuit.
sg.png
ThomasDM Registered User

ThomasDM Nov 1st, 08, 01:34 AM #5
I contacted NVIDIA and heard this news is almost two years old, they started disabling the feature in January 2007. OPTi is also going after AMD because their chipsets infringe the same patent.

http://www.dvhardware.net/article30967.html
be.png
slim142

slim142 Nov 1st, 08, 05:16 AM #6
Ok so I guess anything after 1104 for Striker II Extreme should be a no-go?

If you analyze this, most people use PCI for sound cards (mostly), what impact will the sound card have?...
us.png
Megalord Registered User

Megalord Nov 1st, 08, 10:07 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasDM View Post
I contacted NVIDIA and heard this news is almost two years old, they started disabling the feature in January 2007. OPTi is also going after AMD because their chipsets infringe the same patent.

http://www.dvhardware.net/article30967.html
How did AMD respond? I kinda take stuffs online with alot of salt, and things quoted from NV with far more salt, esp after they keep declaring "our GPUs are fine" followed by putting aside 300mil for replacements. That was repeated for a number of cases recently.
sg.png
Linear Mode Linear Mode