Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
BigBadBil Guest

Trade rep: (%)
Infractions: / ()
How to improve on my standing broad jump? BigBadBil Aug 14th, 07, 11:02 PM #1

I passed all my napha stations excpet one- Standing broad jump. I try my best to swing my arms before jumping but still, not so good. My legs consider quite long for my age but still cannot jump. Sometimes, I can't even land on both feets. Anyone got any idea why?

Any ideas on how to improve my standing broad jump?

sg.png
ukiya88
One Winged Angel

Trade rep: 25 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
ukiya88 Aug 15th, 07, 12:54 AM #2
google for Air Alert III.

my fren train until week 10, his leg want to break liao.

lol
sg.png
Mobile_Crazy
1stop2sell PHONE

Trade rep: 90 (100%)
Mobile_Crazy Aug 15th, 07, 01:54 PM #3
lol. me also the same problem. leg very long, but cannot jump far...
sg.png
Hurricaneboi
poison strong wallet weak

Trade rep: 16 (100%)
Hurricaneboi Aug 16th, 07, 10:13 PM #4
jump...jump...and jump. do lots of steps.
sg.png
TheoDR
I'm the goddamn Batman

Trade rep: 3 (100%)
TheoDR Aug 17th, 07, 08:41 AM #5
There's a technique to jumping, I believe that as long as your legs can support you to walk, you sure as heck can make jumps exceeding 240cm.

Tall or short doesn't really seem to make a difference. I'm about 188 and another friend back in NS was about 160. Both of us jumped 260cm for SBJ.

I'll try my best to explain my technique:
1) Eye the line: I usually set my eyes on something "far away" like the edge of the mat or 270cm point.

2) Start swinging your arms and "bouncing" your legs. It helps to visualize your legs as a set of springs. Don't hesitate to jump the moment you feel you're ready for take-off. There's such a thing as swinging your arms and bouncing your legs for too long. When that happens, you'll lose momentum.

3) When you jump, imagine that you're a panther leaping after your prey or something. Tuck your legs in to your chest while you're in mid-air, with your arms swinging out to give that nice forward motion. Again, it helps to imagine yourself jumping at a perfect 45deg angle.

4) Land with your arms and upper body in front of your butt so that you don't fall backwards.

Hope this helps! Try to get a friend who's good in SBJ to do "spotting" too and catch your mistakes. Technique technique technique!
au.png
Ex-calibur Registered User

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
Ex-calibur Aug 18th, 07, 01:14 PM #6
additional point is that you need to be flexible ...

when you jump stretch out both your hands and legs (picture yourself doing sit and reach that would be a estimate position when your in the air

+1 to flexibility ^^
sg.png
AsuraN
[vRz] M4tchb0X-

Trade rep: 35 (100%)
AsuraN Aug 18th, 07, 04:11 PM #7
how to train legs to be more agile arh, i've got fat n short legs. Genes running through the whole family !_!

Avid Wonderful & Ye Eun-Impact Fanboy!
sg.png
SYY
Retired Member of NYDB!

Trade rep: 2 (100%)
SYY Aug 18th, 07, 07:50 PM #8
hmmm...wad i suggest is do legs trainin...do weighted lunges and step-ups...for step-ups go the same amount for each leg...tats bout wad i did to improve my jump from 17x to nearly 220...

mayb u can even try going for long distance jump...try to go somewhere like a field or what...then do your max distance jump for 10 times...3 sets per day...this helps for my fren bud he sae da for the next few days ur legs will feel like u canot walk...

btw, technique is also important in this aspect...or shld i sae in every single tested item in NAPFA...gd luck to u
Way Of The Dragon: From a distance - 20 paddlers move in perfect rhythm to a muted drum beat, gracefully skimming the water's surface. Up close - determined grunts and strained sinews with oars in grip, dig vigorously into the water. The majestic head of the dragon fronts this contraption but the real heart lies just behind it, at the apex of the bow. Like a conductor of an orchestra, the drummer leads his crew with the calculated beat of his drum. Such is the realm of dragon boating.

Rig Overhaul! 20/06/2014:
| Asrock B85M Pro 4 + Intel i5 4460 Haswell | Zotac GTX760 AMP! Edtn GDDR5 2GB | G.Skill RipJaws-X DDR3-1600 CL9 4GB x 2 | Toshiba 2TB SATA3 | Crucial MX100 128GB SATA3 | Western Digital 320GB SATA2 | LG SATA 20x DVDRW | FSP Aurum S Gold 600W | Lian Li PC007AIM |
sg.png
Ex-calibur Registered User

Ex-calibur Aug 18th, 07, 11:45 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsuraN
how to train legs to be more agile arh, i've got fat n short legs. Genes running through the whole family !_!
are you saeing that your are fat ??? (no offense)

but ... i am small in size lar... but i didnt train anything every year i jump sure increase 1 ...

i choose to sae technique plays about 70% on how far you jump

i seen small guys cant jump at all they lift of and ended near their starting line ...

be brave and swing yourself forward
sg.png
BenFan Registered User

BenFan Aug 19th, 07, 09:41 AM #10
just think u are a chicken... "1, 2, 3! I can fly !!! I can fly!!!"
sg.png
idontknow
the random user

Trade rep: 1 (100%)
idontknow Aug 19th, 07, 06:59 PM #11
actually i oso have problems jumping.

can only managed 216cm in bmt. highest reached was 220cm to 230cm in poly before but i cant seem to do it anymore.

all other stations no problem except sbj. i tink i didnt lean forward enough and when i launch im usually not at 45 degree.
sg.png
TheTrap
私は黒髪ロリかな. ...

Trade rep: 82 (99%)
TheTrap Aug 22nd, 07, 02:13 PM #12
Main thing...cannot jump like girl...a lot of my classmates jump like their bones can bend only 45 degrees...
sg.png
Hurricaneboi
poison strong wallet weak

Trade rep: 16 (100%)
Hurricaneboi Aug 22nd, 07, 10:08 PM #13
look far...swing with all your might and let your arms aid in carrying you further. never look at where you want to go; look beyond that.
sg.png
AsuraN
[vRz] M4tchb0X-

Trade rep: 35 (100%)
AsuraN Aug 22nd, 07, 11:47 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-calibur
are you saeing that your are fat ??? (no offense)

but ... i am small in size lar... but i didnt train anything every year i jump sure increase 1 ...

i choose to sae technique plays about 70% on how far you jump

i seen small guys cant jump at all they lift of and ended near their starting line ...

be brave and swing yourself forward
yeah I'm fat man ~ 8000grams 1670mm only ! 220cm was the best i've ever hit

Avid Wonderful & Ye Eun-Impact Fanboy!
sg.png
unfinished Registered User

unfinished Nov 6th, 07, 02:16 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-calibur View Post
additional point is that you need to be flexible ...

when you jump stretch out both your hands and legs (picture yourself doing sit and reach that would be a estimate position when your in the air

+1 to flexibility ^^

LOL, u do that and i can imagine u landing right on your butt. jumping up and stretching into sit and reach position?
sg.png
Linear Mode Linear Mode