Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
EricHartmann Guest

Trade rep: (%)
Infractions: / ()
taking apart a small freezer to cool your shit? EricHartmann Sep 11th, 03, 09:05 AM #1

Has anyone taken apart a small freezer to cool your shit? I have heard that freezers contain a lot of the same materials that lets say a vapochill system has. Has anyone taken apart a small freezer or fridge? How big are the parts inside, maybe to big for a case?

us.png
Jabo Guest

Jabo Sep 11th, 03, 06:11 PM #2
Shamino & Wapon defentely did, they are true experts on that subject!
gb.png
b3aup Guest

b3aup Sep 11th, 03, 10:20 PM #3
may i ask what the dimensions of your small refrigerator are? Just curious
us.png
b3aup Guest

b3aup Sep 11th, 03, 10:31 PM #4
oh btw, yes you can use a small refrigerator for a vapochill system, but i believe that shamino and Weapon would tell you to use a small window air conditioner if you could.
us.png
Shamino
Master of past & present

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Re: taking apart a small freezer to cool your shit? Shamino Sep 12th, 03, 12:36 AM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by EricHartmann
Has anyone taken apart a small freezer to cool your shit? I have heard that freezers contain a lot of the same materials that lets say a vapochill system has. Has anyone taken apart a small freezer or fridge? How big are the parts inside, maybe to big for a case?
The compressor isn't that big, but the condensors are usualy not suitable, either they are long passive stretch of pipes at the back, or runs around the inside of the fridge. And you might have some problems trying to get the whole thing out without cutting any lines.
They dont usually come with very strong compressors, some go as low as 1/12 HP.
sg.png
Weapon Guest

Weapon Sep 12th, 03, 10:03 AM #6
it might make one h311 of a northbridge cooler.

for a direct die system, I would try to stay at 1/4 hp or above with the compressor. 1/3 is better, 1/2 is still perfectly reasonable. 1 HP and you are getting a little crazy. where are you located? I can point you to several sources for the parts if you are in the US.
us.png
EricHartmann Guest

EricHartmann Sep 13th, 03, 12:36 AM #7
I live in santa cruz ca.
us.png
Weapon Guest

Weapon Sep 13th, 03, 07:05 AM #8
Quote:
I live in santa cruz ca.
easiest and cheapest way to get started is to run out to w@lmart and buy one of the Fedders 5200 or 6000 btu window a/c units.

the 5200btu model is in the $95 range.

that will take care of the fan, the condensor, the on/off switch, the run capacitor, the compressor and most of the copper line that you will need.

for direct die cooling you will need an evaporator - these can be made from some waterblocks or something as simple as a copper pipe cap and a piece of flat copper bar stock (not the best performance but it will work). you can also make one from copper blanks if you have access to a decent drill or drill press, a dremel, some silver brazing rods (they have these at any HVAC store) and a mapp gas torch (any hardware store - about $45).

other than that, for direct die, you will have to open up the system so you will need to have the tools to refill it with refrigerant or hire an a/c tech to do the job.

still a much cheaper way to go than commercially made phase change coolers.

as soon as I finish the one that I am working on, I am going to go back and turn the pics into a how-to on direct die phase change.
us.png
Last edited by Weapon; Sep 13th, 03 at 07:07 AM..
EricHartmann Guest

EricHartmann Sep 13th, 03, 10:13 AM #9
wow weapon!

Dude your pics are awsome on some of the mods you have.

I currently have a koolance water cooling case. I guess to more accuratley describe what im trying to achieve is this: Maybe was thinking of building a very small box which acts just as a normal freezer. I would put my radiator in it and cool the water going to the componants. I don't know if im quite ready for the mods you are describing but of course I have already read a lot about building your own phase change unit. Do you guys think that freezing the radiator will cool the water down enouph to make it worthwhile? Im ready to try anything because I spent a lot of money on primo componants and the shit just isn't overclocking. I mean it does overclock but with constant random crashes. They are the type of crashes that really piss you off too. for instance when I run all the burn in tests in the world it might work fine but when I go and play a game or am on the internet Ill get a blue screen of death. Maybe it's just a bad processor. here it is:
amd athlon 3000 with 400mhz fsb.
us.png
Weapon Guest

Weapon Sep 13th, 03, 10:20 AM #10
Quote:
wow weapon!

Dude your pics are awsome on some of the mods you have.

I currently have a koolance water cooling case. I guess to more accuratley describe what im trying to achieve is this: Maybe was thinking of building a very small box which acts just as a normal freezer. I would put my radiator in it and cool the water going to the componants. I don't know if im quite ready for the mods you are describing but of course I have already read a lot about building your own phase change unit. Do you guys think that freezing the radiator will cool the water down enouph to make it worthwhile? Im ready to try anything because I spent a lot of money on primo componants and the shit just isn't overclocking. I mean it does overclock but with constant random crashes. They are the type of crashes that really piss you off too. for instance when I run all the burn in tests in the world it might work fine but when I go and play a game or am on the internet Ill get a blue screen of death. Maybe it's just a bad processor. here it is:
amd athlon 3000 with 400mhz fsb.
ty.

if you are going to try to freeze your radiator...why not just take out the radiator and supercool the water that is in the reservior? if the water/coolant that is in the res can be kept supa-cold, that can be pumped to all of the other components in the system with a standard H2O loop + some extra insulation.

if you try to freeze the res, that just gives you another thermal layer that you have to get cold thru (or heat thru depending on how you look at it). If you are talking about supa-cooling, usually, the radiator is the first thing to go as there is no longer any need for it.
us.png
EricHartmann Guest

EricHartmann Sep 13th, 03, 10:24 AM #11
I see what your saying.

There is not a resevior that I know of in a koolance system. It goes from rad, cpu, chipset, gpu and then straight to the pump again. Is the resevior the same as the pump.
us.png
Weapon Guest

Weapon Sep 13th, 03, 10:36 AM #12
Quote:
I see what your saying.
Is the resevior the same as the pump.
neg. the pump holds very little water. a reservior is just as it sounds - a separate container that holds a volume of water. you would prolly want to add one that you could insulate and the larger the better as far as cooling capacity is concerned.

the size depends on how you intend to chill it. for chilling water or any other liquid coolant, surface area is a major factor -- that is why chillers like shamino's chiller work so well - he uses a standard a/c evap and drops it in a big honkin' reservior. there is a lot of surface contact between the cold metal on the evaporator and the coolant that runs thru his system. well, that and he has taken a lot of care in getting coolant to flow thru the evap fins as well as proper insulation.

check out his craziness in this thread:
http://www.vrforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9254
us.png
EricHartmann Guest

EricHartmann Sep 13th, 03, 11:05 AM #13
that is some ****ing insane shit right there. I wish I could just pick your guys brain one on one because that just thougholy impresses me. Do you use pentium 4's for that shit.
us.png
EricHartmann Guest

EricHartmann Sep 13th, 03, 11:05 AM #14
sorry for my constant swearing but i just get really enthusiastic about that shit.
us.png
Weapon Guest

Weapon Sep 13th, 03, 11:11 AM #15
Quote:
that is some ****ing insane shit right there. I wish I could just pick your guys brain one on one because that just thougholy impresses me. Do you use pentium 4's for that shit.
nah - those are AMD.

mine is a weaponized 2100.
check this thread for details:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...threadid=11853

I am about to release a copper version of the weapon shim.

I finally found a machine shop that could make them to hella tight specs at a reasonable cost.
us.png
Linear Mode Linear Mode