Missing contents MS Project files.

We have the file .mpp which was common for multiple users in Windows domain. Yesterday all the notes from .mpp file disappeared. The icon next to the cell where notes would normally be shown is still there however. Is there any possibility that the file may have gotten corrupted?

any ideas? can you help me?

I'm sorry, but unlike Outlook there is not repair facility for project mpp files. It is time to look for a backup file. Or try to use Project Recovery Toolbox for ms project file recovery, if you cannot find the needed backup file.
    Of greater concern is the possibility that this could happen again. I would caution you against the use of a shared project file. There is simply no accountability and when something odd happens, you are just out of luck.
    If your operational resources include a Windows Server 2003 or 2008 system, I would strongly consider installing and configuring a Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) team collaboration site. This will allow your team to share notes in a forum that is relatively safe and secure.
    Last edited by OlafMarcussen; Feb 13th, 17 at 07:30 PM.

It sounds like your file has been messed up. Why this happened is an interesting question, but not one that you are likely to track down. The most probable cause is that some one or some thing opened the file with the wrong tool and attempted to do something inappropriate with it.

You've been very kind in your efforts to help. Thanks for that.