Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
tsr_mobile Registered User

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
copy and paste or cut and paste file faster ? tsr_mobile Oct 24th, 08, 09:31 AM #1

when transferring files from laptop to ext.hdd..

sg.png
booest
集中精神, 闭关修行

Trade rep: 62 (100%)
booest Oct 24th, 08, 10:14 AM #2
cut and paste is faster for file transfer

Life is a Gift, Never take it forgranted
| i5ooest:i5-2500K cooldby Shuriken Rev-B | Gene-Z mATX | 4 x 4GB DDR3 | Veloci 600Gb | S12-600W |
| Alcadia X3 -Black fortified by Silent9 |2707WFP (16:10) |

sg.png
sabe Super Meanarator

Trade rep: 220 (100%)
sabe Oct 24th, 08, 11:59 AM #3
Actually if its not on the same hard disk, then almost no difference
sg.png
lupinnktp gadget-modder

Trade rep: 52 (100%)
lupinnktp Oct 24th, 08, 01:41 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabe View Post
Actually if its not on the same hard disk, then almost no difference
2nd that. it's still 1 read, 1 write (simultaneously), and 1 transfer, all bottle-necked by USB connection...... Cut+paste = copy+paste+delete old files
sg.png
chunlianghere Registered User

Trade rep: 1 (100%)
chunlianghere Oct 24th, 08, 01:57 PM #5
but IMO, to be safer side, copy n paste, than delete. seldom i wil use cut n paste. if something is wrong, yr data jus cut into half.
sg.png
dxter
[JEDI] DANTZ|G

Trade rep: 1 (100%)
dxter Oct 24th, 08, 03:06 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunlianghere View Post
but IMO, to be safer side, copy n paste, than delete. seldom i wil use cut n paste. if something is wrong, yr data jus cut into half.
Not true. If the connection drops, the original file is retained in its original state in the originating drive..
"Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level." --- E. Fermi (1901-1954)
sg.png
bad
boy

Trade rep: 2 (100%)
bad Oct 24th, 08, 09:57 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxter View Post
Not true. If the connection drops, the original file is retained in its original state in the originating drive..
Not true. I've ever experienced a bunch of identical folders resulted from a halfway stop. The whole directory tree was literally screwed up having some files in the newly created folder and files in the older folder only partially retained.
sg.png
Last edited by bad; Oct 24th, 08 at 10:00 PM..
sabe Super Meanarator

Trade rep: 220 (100%)
sabe Oct 24th, 08, 10:19 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad View Post
Not true. I've ever experienced a bunch of identical folders resulted from a halfway stop. The whole directory tree was literally screwed up having some files in the newly created folder and files in the older folder only partially retained.
Hehe, I think he was talking about the fact that files will not be destroyed in the process. Some files left in old directory, some files ending up in the new one is certainly possible I guess.

Anyway, cut-and-paste is fast on the same partition because the file is not physically copied, only information pertaining to 'which directory is this file in' is altered. That being said, its probably a good idea like someone else pointed out to always do a copy then delete when transferring between different partition / disks. Its not going to be any faster to 'cut' and its certainly going to be a bigger headache in unforeseen scenarios like when your target disk runs out of space in the middle of a 'paste'.
sg.png
Linear Mode Linear Mode