Switch to Linear ModeSwitch to Hybrid ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode
Printer Friendly View | Email this page | Register Now to start posting!
Teemax Super User

Trade rep: 28 (100%)
Infractions: 0/0 (0)
Laptop price in Singapore Teemax Apr 10th, 08, 09:58 PM #1

I took at look at the Dell XPS laptop on www.dell.com.sg (Singapore), www.dell.fr (France) and www.dell.com (US). Out of the 3, Dell Singapore is by far the MOST expensive, even 15% more expensive than in France with its heavy taxes! I'm looking at something similar to the XPS M1530.

The question is: is Singapore a good place to buy a laptop? Or should I get one abroad?

sg.png
zaidi
Single and Available

Trade rep: 11 (100%)
zaidi Apr 10th, 08, 11:54 PM #2
get overseas mean export set and no local warranty unless got international warranty.
sg.png
bolts Registered User

Trade rep: 0 (0%)
bolts Apr 11th, 08, 06:10 PM #3
Buy local, Dell's quality is not as good as other vendors. You'll be better off with the local warranty support.
sg.png
Teemax Super User

Teemax Apr 13th, 08, 09:20 AM #4
My question is: why is the price of Dell laptop more expensive than in Europe? Taxes in Europe are CRAZY and the cost of living over there is higher than in Singapore as well.
sg.png
X_K_Cobra
FPS Sharpshooter/Sniper

X_K_Cobra Apr 13th, 08, 10:50 AM #5
Bro, I feel that same way too. But seemingly, almost all the laptops in Singapore are more ex than in Europe or US.
sg.png
John_Chee

Trade rep: 1 (100%)
John_Chee Apr 13th, 08, 11:03 AM #6
Yes SG laptops are more expensive. Even for IBM, HP you go to other countries like our friendly neighbour Bangkok you will find that their laptops there are cheaper. From what I was told the case for thailand is that the government wants to promote IT thus the laptops sold there are being subsidised. It has been around for a few years now already.
sg.png
Teemax Super User

Teemax Apr 13th, 08, 08:06 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_K_Cobra View Post
Bro, I feel that same way too. But seemingly, almost all the laptops in Singapore are more ex than in Europe or US.
I'm pretty sure it's more expensive.

Funny thing is, other computer equipments are not necessarily more expensive in Singapore, only laptop!
sg.png
Teemax Super User

Teemax Apr 13th, 08, 08:07 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Chee View Post
Yes SG laptops are more expensive. Even for IBM, HP you go to other countries like our friendly neighbour Bangkok you will find that their laptops there are cheaper. From what I was told the case for thailand is that the government wants to promote IT thus the laptops sold there are being subsidised. It has been around for a few years now already.
So laptop in Bangkok is cheaper???

Thanks for the info! Do you know where is a good place to buy laptop in Bangkok?
sg.png
John_Chee

Trade rep: 1 (100%)
John_Chee Apr 14th, 08, 04:24 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemax View Post
So laptop in Bangkok is cheaper???

Thanks for the info! Do you know where is a good place to buy laptop in Bangkok?
U can check out online at the thai websites. I only saw significant difference for HP and IBM the last time I was there which was 2 years ago. Not sure about the acer there I don't really like acer so won't pay attention to them. Part of the reason is also they tend to put in linux for their lower end models and thai versions of XP during the time I was there since Vista wasn't out yet.

Take note about intertational warranty though whenever buying from overseas. I went shopping at Phantip plaza during my trip as it was just opposite my hotel.
sg.png
ZeptoSG

ZeptoSG Apr 14th, 08, 08:49 AM #10
The price of laptops are expensive because of the insane marketing expenses in SG. Most laptops are still sold in street shops and not online. In Europe and US, many laptops are sold online but on street shops they are just as expensive. However, rentals in SG are expensive so it is usually more profitable to sell small items than to sell big items.
sg.png
silverarch Registered User

Trade rep: 4 (100%)
silverarch Jun 3rd, 08, 04:50 PM #11
the price quoted on the US website is not inclusive of tax.
tax varies from state to state. they will only tax u according to the delivery area of the state.
sg.png
telefone Registered User

Trade rep: 8 (100%)
telefone Jun 3rd, 08, 07:30 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidi View Post
get overseas mean export set and no local warranty unless got international warranty.
I bought a Dell laptop from US, and components were spoilt when I got back to SG. In the end, the Dell guy came down to my house to check and change the required parts. So I think warranty is no issue as long as it is home service one.

Editted: but now 1 year warranty over then gimme problems again
(Take note, got problems within first year)
sg.png
telefone Registered User

telefone Jun 3rd, 08, 07:33 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverarch View Post
the price quoted on the US website is not inclusive of tax.
tax varies from state to state. they will only tax u according to the delivery area of the state.
Most places taxes is 7 to 8%, if you go by vpost or comgateway, then there should be no taxes. Not sure if they require you have US based credit card or not. There may also be applicable GST when item reaches SG (applicable to anything more than SG$400)
sg.png
n00biE Registered Noob

Trade rep: 3 (100%)
n00biE Jun 4th, 08, 01:37 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by telefone View Post
I bought a Dell laptop from US, and components were spoilt when I got back to SG. In the end, the Dell guy came down to my house to check and change the required parts. So I think warranty is no issue as long as it is home service one.

Editted: but now 1 year warranty over then gimme problems again
(Take note, got problems within first year)
U managed to claim warranty from Dell singapore for a laptop you bought from Dell US?Didnt know it was possible if thats the case can save quite abit from buying laptops from dell US
sg.png
telefone Registered User

telefone Jun 4th, 08, 11:01 AM #15
Yup, the guy came to my house to check the laptop then came back to change the motherboard, all FOC (within first year). But mine was bought with school discount, so not sure if the warranty is different.
sg.png
Linear Mode Linear Mode